Baked item that would catch fire in an oven?

Reaction score
Hello,
Thank you in advance for your baking advice! I'm not sure if I should file this under kitchen disasters.

Can anyone advise if there are baked goods (perhaps that have lots of alcohol or sugar) that might either catch fire or smoke heavily in an oven?

I'm researching for a fiction story where one of my main characters works as a baker (and is about to get demoted). Ideally she's experimenting and her baking concoction either catches on fire or smokes and makes a big mess.

Although I've worked in restaurants and know a fair amount about baking, I'm not sure (outside of simply burning something) what ingredients could make a disaster big enough for a fire extinguisher and to warrant getting fired or demoted.

Thank you!
And I love butter :)

Reaction score
I mean, I know all baked goods if left in the oven long enough it'll burn and start to smoke a lot. I would think that something with a particularly high sugar content (like maybe a tart or a pie or something) would have a bigger chance of letting off more smoke.

But even if you were making like, chicken or something if you leave it in there and forget about it you'd get a face full of smoke when you do open the oven door.

I can't imagine anything catching on fire though o_O That would be a really big one.

Reaction score
Hmm...I don't know about that :/, I think Tangela is on the right track with the idea of just leaving things in too long or at too high of a setting but actually setting fire? I wouldn't really expect something with a high alcohol content to go all flambe on you IN the oven....

Reaction score
Well, big baking accidents? Not sure about that one to be honest! I mean, I know you can have huge accidents when cooking certain thing or using certain techniques, like when you flambe something. Other than that... I think the girls have already covered everything.

Reaction score
Hmm...I don't know about that :/, I think Tangela is on the right track with the idea of just leaving things in too long or at too high of a setting but actually setting fire? I wouldn't really expect something with a high alcohol content to go all flambe on you IN the oven....

Thank you!

Reaction score
I mean, I know all baked goods if left in the oven long enough it'll burn and start to smoke a lot. I would think that something with a particularly high sugar content (like maybe a tart or a pie or something) would have a bigger chance of letting off more smoke.

But even if you were making like, chicken or something if you leave it in there and forget about it you'd get a face full of smoke when you do open the oven door.

I can't imagine anything catching on fire though o_O That would be a really big one.

Thank you! The consensus is that she'll need to have a high sugar content item spill over the container and left to burn in the oven. Thanks for the assistance (-:

Reaction score
Something with a lot of grease like roasting a duck in the oven can cause a grease fire in the oven from the grease splattering.
Also batter spilling over on to the oven floor (if you overfill the pan) can cause a fire.

Reaction score
Thank you! The consensus is that she'll need to have a high sugar content item spill over the container and left to burn in the oven. Thanks for the assistance (-:
Sure! Wishing you the best of luck with your story :) And hopefully something more concrete would turn up for ya :)

Reaction score
Sure! Wishing you the best of luck with your story :) And hopefully something more concrete would turn up for ya :)

Thank you Tangela. I've known for a long time I need to either interview a couple local bakers but even more preferably see if I could either work for free (apprentice) in one for a while. Or at least watch. I actually would love to do that. I miss the restaurant business!
The story isn't about baking (it's about love and redemption of course) but my character is a baker by trade. So I need to get some better inside info. Thanks!

Ask a Question