Baked Steaks!

Reaction score
I know it may not be the same as a desert recipe, but I have found and perfected some of the best recipes for baking steaks and other cuts of meat. One of my favorites is a variation on the traditional "swiss steak". Simply put I place a couple of steaks in a rectangular tray, add tomato sauce, green bell and other peppers, onions and garlic and bake "slow and low" tented with foil. I am really trying to find the name of a dish I had 30 years ago. It involved a steak that was either egg washed or breaded somehow and served with a red sauce. Anyone know the name (or the method) for this one or do you have any other favorite or secret recipes?

Reaction score
Do you use any cheese on the steaks you bake? What kinds of cuts do you use? I'm always looking for new ways to make steak once it gets too cold and snowy to cook on the grill!
Your baked version sounds really good! So, how long is low and slow? Temperature? I can't help you out with your other recipe search - sorry!
But I am really intrigued by the steak baking.
Also, do you do that with any other cuts of meat? And, do you prefer it to crockpot recipes? :)

Reaction score
I found a very interesting way to cook a perfect steak in the oven while surfing the net. The method involves placing a cast iron skillet in the oven that you have placed on the broil setting. Then after seasoning the steak, you turn on the stove burner on high heat, and then take the skillet out of the oven, and place it on the burner. You then cook the steak for 30 seconds on each side. Turn off the burner, then place the steak back in the oven and cook each side for 2 minutes. The complete recipe is at this link: http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-cook-a-perfect-steak-in-the-oven-108490

Reaction score
Do you use any cheese on the steaks you bake? What kinds of cuts do you use? I'm always looking for new ways to make steak once it gets too cold and snowy to cook on the grill!
Your baked version sounds really good! So, how long is low and slow? Temperature? I can't help you out with your other recipe search - sorry!
But I am really intrigued by the steak baking.
Also, do you do that with any other cuts of meat? And, do you prefer it to crockpot recipes? :)

Thanks Mommy. Haven't put cheese on. With your "cold and snowy" consider this simple one pan recipe. Wash the meat to remove any bone chards (if bone in) and to remove the "snow". I like to use a pyrex rectangular pan, and put a little butter or oil in the bottom. Season the meat with your favorites (garlic powder, sea salt, cajun spice, pepper, etc.) This can work with that meat you don't want to grill or with really any "bargain" cut of beef (look for sales or manager's specials) and don't be afraid of fat (it will make it more tender) in the grain. I cut up red and white potatoes, carrots, celery and mushrooms and pack the pan with all the veggies. Top with fresh parsley (regular, curly or Italian) and cover the pan with aluminum foil. "Tent" it by pulling it up in the middle and seal it tight along all the edges. I like mine well done and I assure you it will be tender and juicy, if you cook it at 325 degrees for approximately 45 minutes per pound. (Cook more or less based on your preference for "done-ness". It's ok to peek and you will notice the wonderful smells as it is cooking.

Pull out the meat and slice, scoop out the veggies with a slotted spoon and you have a hearty stick to your ribs roast that everyone will think you went to a lot of trouble to prepare. Let me know what you think of that snowy beef after you try this. Good luck.

Reaction score
I am not a crock pot sort by the way. I like the one tray recipe and like a crockpot you season, cut and pack veggies, tent it and forget it. The oven seems to allow more of the smell to traverse the house and even warm things up on a cool night.

Reaction score
I found a very interesting way to cook a perfect steak in the oven while surfing the net. The method involves placing a cast iron skillet in the oven that you have placed on the broil setting. Then after seasoning the steak, you turn on the stove burner on high heat, and then take the skillet out of the oven, and place it on the burner. You then cook the steak for 30 seconds on each side. Turn off the burner, then place the steak back in the oven and cook each side for 2 minutes. The complete recipe is at this link: http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-cook-a-perfect-steak-in-the-oven-108490
Thanks Jodiann..sounds like a winner. I will try it.

Reaction score
If it is raining outside we bake/broil our steaks in the oven often. This season has been terribly rainy! We actually did this on Labor Day this weekend. The steaks turned out very good. I have one of those large baking trays that has the sunken bottom and a top that has holes for the grease drippings to fall through.

Reaction score
If it is raining outside we bake/broil our steaks in the oven often. This season has been terribly rainy! We actually did this on Labor Day this weekend. The steaks turned out very good. I have one of those large baking trays that has the sunken bottom and a top that has holes for the grease drippings to fall through.
Nothing better and what an efficient use of energy a meal and a warm home on a rainy day. Thanks for sharing your expeience.

Reaction score
Justusforus - thanks for the detailed description of how and what to cook! That is so awesome! I am going to save the instructions and the next time it is too cold out to grill use this instead!!! I do love my crock pot - but when it gets colder I don't mind using my oven. We always leave the oven door cracked after we are done cooking, and have turned it off, to heat up the kitchen!! Nice little boost of hot air for a bit!!

I agree that the oven does seem to fill the house more with the smells of cooking and baking! And gives me the satisfaction that I am making "comfort"!!! LOL Sounds weird, I know.

Shellyann - we had a nice Labor Day weekend. We've been getting rain in the evenings for the last few days! Such a relief to have the temp drop and get some relief from the fires that are burning in the mountains around our area!

Reaction score
Justusforus - thanks for the detailed description of how and what to cook! That is so awesome! I am going to save the instructions and the next time it is too cold out to grill use this instead!!! I do love my crock pot - but when it gets colder I don't mind using my oven. We always leave the oven door cracked after we are done cooking, and have turned it off, to heat up the kitchen!! Nice little boost of hot air for a bit!!

I agree that the oven does seem to fill the house more with the smells of cooking and baking! And gives me the satisfaction that I am making "comfort"!!! LOL Sounds weird, I know.

Shellyann - we had a nice Labor Day weekend. We've been getting rain in the evenings for the last few days! Such a relief to have the temp drop and get some relief from the fires that are burning in the mountains around our area!
Comfort food...one of my favorite phrases. For those who love to cook, those who receive it will feel the love. Your welcome and would love to hear what you think of it and whether it saves the day on the snowy stuff.

Reaction score
I wish I was better at cooking steak. Steak intimidates me for some reason. My husband and I have never tried making steak any other way than grilling it outside.

I HAVE made some in the crockpot before and while it came out very tender, I wasn't crazy about the texture of it...it didn't taste BAD it just ended up kinda tasting like roast or something? More like a beef stew?

I have also floured some cube steak, fried it, took it up out of the pan, then prepared a packet of the white gravy and "smothered" the fried steak with it. I made country fried steak in other words! That is my husband's favorite meal.

I don't really make it often because its messy with having to flour the steak and then cooking with grease. I hate frying stuff in my kitchen! The grease pops everywhere and my stove, counter top and cabinets get greasy Yuck! I hate the smell afterwards that lingers in the house!

I would love to get comfortable with a way of preparing steak in the oven or on top of the stove....

Reaction score
That sounds more like a braising technique, in particular with Swiss Steak. As long as the meat is partially but not completely submerged in a liquid of choice then covered and baked, it should provide the desired effect. You can do that on a stove top too, and honestly it would probably use a little less gas/energy vs. heating up a whole oven.

I don't typically cook steaks in the oven, mainly because I don't like the splattering grease getting all over the inside of it. I will use it to keep the steaks warm though after grilling them.

Ask a Question