Baking bread

Reaction score
I want to bake fluffy white bread however when I attempt to do so the bread turns out dense and has a taste similar to scones. I have tried many recipe’s all with the the same result. I am obviously doing something wrong and would appreciate anyones help to fix the issue. Thanks

Reaction score
Please post your recipe.

Poor taste usually means insufficient salt. Dense means too much flour (or too little water) and/or overbaked (baking time too long or oven temperature too high).

The recipe will give insight into your results.

Reaction score
I want to bake fluffy white bread however when I attempt to do so the bread turns out dense and has a taste similar to scones. I have tried many recipe’s all with the the same result. I am obviously doing something wrong and would appreciate anyones help to fix the issue. Thanks

Normally when your bread is dense it's due to improper kneading.

Recipes always instruct the baker to flower the surface. This is incorrect as it incorporates addition flour into the dough, effectively reducing the flour to water ratio.

Go to Bake with Jack website and view his video on kneading.

You may also want to look at his other videos on the fundamentals of baking bread. He has a lot of recipes including an easy beginners white bread loaf.

Ima

Reaction score
Robb, consider what type of fluffy white bread you're after and look specifically for such a recipe e.g. Japanese milk bread and challah (especially if you use liquid oil as the fat and honey as the sugar) are fluffy breads. Use a bread recipe that gives measurements in weight, and weigh your dry ingredients. It amazes me how different flour brands give me different weights per cup! Check that your yeast is not expired, and create a yeast-friendly environment (ingredients should be about body temperature; if too hot it will kill the yeast). Knead until the dough is satiny - 10 minutes in a stand mixer. After the first rise, be gentle with the dough when deflating the air and shaping the loaf. Cut baked bread when the entire loaf is cold.

Reaction score

Try using bread flour, tripling your yeast, and letting it rise again before you bake.

Ask a Question