How to Adjust Baking Time and Temperature for Smaller Pan

Reaction score
I know nothing about baking but I love eating cookies and stuff so I buy premix and follow the instructions. I bought this bag of brownie mix and it requires a 9x9 pan but I only have 8x8. How much more time should I bake? OR how many degrees should I increase? The instructions says 325 degree for 35 minutes btw and it's called First Street Brownie Mix. Thank you!!!

Reaction score
I know nothing about baking but I love eating cookies and stuff so I buy premix and follow the instructions. I bought this bag of brownie mix and it requires a 9x9 pan but I only have 8x8. How much more time should I bake? OR how many degrees should I increase? The instructions says 325 degree for 35 minutes btw and it's called First Street Brownie Mix. Thank you!!!

The area difference of the two pans is 21%. A 9"x 9" square pan is usually filled with about 5 1/2 cups. But the pans capacity is 10 cups.

An 8" x 8" is usually filled with about 4 1/2 cups of cake batter. If filled to the top, it would hold approximately 8 cups.

But brownie batter is normally a lot less volume than cake batter, plus it doesn't rise as much. So the amount of brownie batter from the mix for a 9" x 9" pan is probably equivalent to what a 8" x 8" would hold in cake batter.

As long as the pan isn't filled more than 3/4 full, you'll be fine.

You don't need to adjust the oven temperature. Check for doneness at the 35 minute mark. You probably don't have to bake more than 5 additional minutes.

Reaction score
The area difference of the two pans is 21%. A 9"x 9" square pan is usually filled with about 5 1/2 cups. But the pans capacity is 10 cups.

An 8" x 8" is usually filled with about 4 1/2 cups of cake batter. If filled to the top, it would hold approximately 8 cups.

But brownie batter is normally a lot less volume than cake batter, plus it doesn't rise as much. So the amount of brownie batter from the mix for a 9" x 9" pan is probably equivalent to what a 8" x 8" would hold in cake batter.

As long as the pan isn't filled more than 3/4 full, you'll be fine.

You don't need to adjust the oven temperature. Check for doneness at the 35 minute mark. You probably don't have to bake more than 5 additional minutes.
The last time I made it I had to add at least 30 minutes more with a bunch of breaks in between and it ended up a little hard but still edible.

Reaction score
The last time I made it I had to add at least 30 minutes more with a bunch of breaks in between and it ended up a little hard but still edible.

What do you mean a bunch of breaks in between? A hard brownie means it was way over baked. Brownies are not like cake, you don't bake until a toothpick comes out clean. If the toothpick comes out clean, the brownie is over baked. So it will be hard and dry.

Brownies are done when the side and center are set. The top layer will also be cracked and shiny. When you insert a toothpick, it should have some moist crumbs on it.

30 minutes additional baking for these quantities is excessive. The batter volume is only a cup or slightly less. And brownie volume is less than cake batter, so it bakes faster.

When the difference in pan size is considerable, like a 9" x 9" to a 9" x 13" then there is usually a 25 min to 30 min increase in time because the volume difference is about 3 additional cups of batter.

Reaction score
What do you mean a bunch of breaks in between? A hard brownie means it was way over baked. Brownies are not like cake, you don't bake until a toothpick comes out clean. If the toothpick comes out clean, the brownie is over baked. So it will be hard and dry.

Brownies are done when the side and center are set. The top layer will also be cracked and shiny. When you insert a toothpick, it should have some moist crumbs on it.

30 minutes additional baking for these quantities is excessive. The batter volume is only a cup or slightly less. And brownie volume is less than cake batter, so it bakes faster.

When the difference in pan size is considerable, like a 9" x 9" to a 9" x 13" then there is usually a 25 min to 30 min increase in time because the volume difference is about 3 additional cups of batter.
a bunch of breaks cuz i keep checking and idk if its good or not (im not very experienced). The recipe includes 3.5 cups of the mix, 3tbs of water, 2 eggs, 0.5 cup of oil so its at least half the pan (maybe 3/4). Thats why I added so much time and eventually overbake it.

Reaction score
a bunch of breaks cuz i keep checking and idk if its good or not (im not very experienced). The recipe includes 3.5 cups of the mix, 3tbs of water, 2 eggs, 0.5 cup of oil so its at least half the pan (maybe 3/4). Thats why I added so much time and eventually overbake it.

The amounts you list are typical of the volume for a brownie. it's making about 4 1/2 cups by volume. And that's the amount of cake batter you would put in a 8" x 8" square. So baking for around 40 mins should be adequate.

Just look for the cracked top. The top and sides should not jiggle, the will be set, but not dried out looking. And don't wait until the toothpick is clean.

Reaction score
In my experience, a one or two inch difference in pan size has never made any difference.

Of course how LONG and how HOT you bake your brownies depends on entirely how you LIKE your brownies.
:D

I like mine just gooey, with the edges hard and dry.....so I get my soft, gooey brownie and the edges are a nice hard, chocolaty crust. Mmmmmmm

Some people like SUPER gooey brownies, where they kind of ooze a bit when cut. Other people like cake-style brownies, fully baked.

From what you explained, I think maybe your oven is a bit on the "hot" side, so it bakes faster than it should.
You might try lowering the temp just a smidge and see if that helps. Checking your brownies off and on like that shouldn't make a difference either. Now if that were a cake, yes....it could damage the cake and it could turn out flat and tough. But brownies are a whole different beasty.

Reaction score
Now..........for "perfect" brownies.....in my opinion............

I make them in cupcake pans. Perfect every time.

f7a53f43-a57d-4633-a47f-f66612e5843f.jpg

Reaction score
Now..........for "perfect" brownies.....in my opinion............

I make them in cupcake pans. Perfect every time.

f7a53f43-a57d-4633-a47f-f66612e5843f.jpg

Perfect! See the cracked shiny top Tai Tran? That's what you look for in a brownie that's done. And the toothpick should still have a few moist crumb on it. Good illustration ChesterV:)

Ask a Question