Baking Cookies where ???

Reaction score
I was watching a show called cheapsscapes. This woman was saving money by baking cookies in her car. On a hot summer day she placee her cookie sheet in the windsheild of her car and she cliam they bake in less than an hour Does this sound crazy to anyone else?

Reaction score
It sounds very crazy to me and I have seen that show before. One episode I remember very well was one in which this couple went on a spending fast, where they did not spend any money for like a week. During this time, they collected like $7 in pocket change by digging through public sidewalk cracks and stuff and ended up buying a goat head to eat for dinner. I was just like, why did you not go buy a cheap cut of real meat or something!

Reaction score
One blogger tried it and her cookies got done in 2 hours. They do get baked but they don't brown. The plastic in cars gives off a toxic gas so it's not practical to use your car as a solar oven.

Reaction score
One blogger tried it and her cookies got done in 2 hours. They do get baked but they don't brown. The plastic in cars gives off a toxic gas so it's not practical to use your car as a solar oven.
Yes you are right about the toxic fumes. The really dumb part about this is that is it really simple to make a solar oven with a card board box and tin foil. All it takes is a bit of hard work and some research.

Reaction score
We did something like that at school. Making a solar oven, I mean, it was pretty easy. We used shoeboxes. I prefer using the oven in my home, though. It's bigger.

Reaction score
Eh, no thanks.

Realistically, I just wouldn't bake cookies during the day. I usually wait until the late evening after the temperatures are already cooling or I simply don't bake cookies. I don't need cookies OR to save money/heat so much to resort to putting them in my car instead, ha.

Reaction score
I don't think this is a good idea..you guys are right about the fumes, and I'm not that desperate, haha! Plus I normally do my baking in the evening too. It would probably make your car smell pretty good though!

Reaction score
I'd never try that out, mostly because of the toxic fumes you have all mentioned and the fact that is not practical at all. By the way, the people from that TV show are wacko!! I once saw an episode of a woman who wouldn't let a dentist pull out an infected tooth because of the price... she let her husband do it at home.... CRAZY.

Reaction score
I was watching a show called cheapsscapes. This woman was saving money by baking cookies in her car. On a hot summer day she placee her cookie sheet in the windsheild of her car and she cliam they bake in less than an hour Does this sound crazy to anyone else?

Given that dogs left inside a car can die from heat exhaustion, even in the UK, it does not sound like a crazy idea at all.

It is also possible to make a homemade dehydrator in northern climates, for summer use using nothing more than glass, so why not. I can see that temperatures could easily get well over +150F if not +200F in a car in summer. And just thinking how warm my old greenhouse used to get even with a window open I can't see why you could not theoretically bake cookies on a cookie sheet on the dashboard.

Reaction score
I actually saw an article recently about this happening in Arizona. It surprised me but I guess it shows you just how hot the internal temperature of a car can get!

Don't know how keen I would be on eating them though!

Reaction score
I think it is not hygienic and healthy wise to bake cookies in a car on a summer day. I think this is not a good idea like what the other posters said here..

Ask a Question