Baking for Pets

Reaction score
Most people who have pets consider them part of the family.
But the pets are never given their own special baked or homemade treats that are made JUST for them!!!!

We love to give bits of "people food" to our pets, but it really isn't good for them.

So, why not bake your pets some of their own special treats?

****Just remember to have your pet given a check up to see if they are allergic or cannot process any of the ingredients in these recipes! Even though these recipes are strictly for pets, like people, pets can also have issues with certain grains, dairy products, etc...
So please have your pet given a check up by your Vet, so you can make treats according to your pets needs.

dogtreats.jpg

CI-AmyBites_Cat-Sniffing-Treats_s4x3.jpg.rend.hgtvcom.1280.960.jpeg

Reaction score
Peanut Butter Treats

3 cups of whole wheat flour
1/2 cup of peanut butter
2 tbs of veggie oil
1 cup of water.

Mix water, oil and peanut butter together. Once blended, add flour - 1 cup at a time. Mix, roll out and cut into desired shape and bake.

Baking times vary, but about 10 minutes at 325 degrees, or until lightly brown.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Chicken

2 cups of whole wheat flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
6 tbs of veggie oil
2/3 cup of chicken stock.

Mix all ingredients, roll out, cut out, and bake.
Baking times vary, but about 10 minutes at 325 degrees, or until lightly brown.

Bacon
Follow recipe above but add desired amount of bacon bits (real bacon)

Beef
Same recipe as chicken but substitute beef stock instead of chicken stock

Last edited:
Reaction score
Tips on making pet treats......

Use SMALL cookie cutters, about 1 inch for cat treats and small dog treats....2 inches for large dog treats.

If you make "frosting" for any pet "cake", use either unflavored, non-sweetened yogurt or mashed cottage cheese. Depending on if your pet can have dairy products. And only use A LITTLE BIT!

For Christmas, you can make regular cut cookie shapes of treats, and hang them on a Pet Tree.
Some pet supply places will carry pet friendly C'mas tree's just for pets. You can decorate them with the treats. Be sure and use edible ribbons or string to hang treats on the tree with.

Don't hang pet treats on a human C'mas tree. This will confuse the animal, and they may eat other ornaments as well as the pet treat ones. And we don't want that.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Chewy Treats for Cats

makes about 50 small treats

1 large egg

1, 4-oz jar chicken and brown rice baby food (or something meaty which may include canned wet cat food)

1/4 cup parsley, coarsely chopped

2 teaspoons olive oil

2 tablespoons water

1 cup brown rice flour

1/2 cup cooked white (or brown) rice

other things you might add other treats like : 1 tablespoon of catnip or a hearty tablespoon of extra wet cat food.

Place a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together egg, baby food (or wet cat food), parsley, olive oil, and water. Add brown rice flour and cooked rice. Stir to incorporate. The mixture will be thick but spreadable.

Spread mixture onto prepared baking sheet creating a rectangle that is about 1/3 of an inch thick. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes.

Remove from the oven. Let rest until cool enough to handle, then slice soft dough into bite-sized pieces. Return pieces to the oven to bake for another 8 minutes. Remove from the oven. Allow to cool completely. Store in an airtight container in the fridge. You can store treats in the fridge just to be safe.

Reaction score
Doggie Birthday Cake

Ingredients

• 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup peanut butter
  • 1/4 cup cooking oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup honey (optional)
  • 1 cup shredded carrots
  • 1 cup whole wheat or white flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 6 cup ring mold.
  2. Combine the egg, peanut butter, oil, vanilla, and honey, if desired, in a large bowl; blend well. Stir in the carrots and mix thoroughly. Sift together the flour and baking soda and fold into the carrot mixture. Spoon cake batter into prepared pan.
  3. Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes. Let cake cool in pan for 10 minutes; then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

Reaction score
ChesterV, I could hug you right now. I have tried the peanut butter treats several times. You should see how ugly they are as I no cutters but my girls just love them. I am so happy you provided all of these in one place. I have book marked this thread and you can be sure I will be trying these.

Reaction score
Thanks so much for sharing such a broad range of pet baked goods. I've made peanut butter treats for my pup before but haven't really branched out into other things - mainly because I just didn't know what/where to start.

Reaction score
I can see a lot of people being interested in baking for pets. I know quite a few people who truly spoil their furry friends. When we had dogs, I can't say I did much baking for them. I did used to bake a big batch of cornbread and pour a little milk over it sometimes, to feed them a warm meal or to feed them when they were sick. That's about it.

Reaction score
Thanks @ChesterV, I might try making some of these for my kitties. I actually have a cookbook for treats for them, but I don't know where I put it. It came with a little fish shaped cookie cutter. I made one recipe from the book, but they were less than enthusiastic, so I guess they don't like parmesan cheese.

Reaction score
Cat Birthday Cake

• 3/4 can tuna or salmon
  • 3 tablespoons shredded cheese
  • 3 tablespoons flour*
  • 1 egg
*While the recipe calls for all-purpose flour, you can replace it with coconut flour if your cat is on a grain-free diet.
Cooking Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Break up tuna or salmon if necessary.
  3. Mix ingredients together.
  4. Scoop batter into two cups of a greased muffin pan.
  5. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
  6. If you'd like to get a little more festive, you can top the cake with a gravy "icing" or garnish with a cooked shrimp or a pinch of catnip.
  7. Be sure to let the cakes cool before serving. If your cat has trouble biting into the cake, you can break it up to make it easier for him to bite and chew.

fiver-main.jpg.653x0_q80_crop-smart.jpg

chow-down.jpg

Reaction score
Doggy Ice Cream

Ice Cream Cloud Nine

Ingredients:

· 1 ripe banana
· 1 cup of peanut butter
· 2 cups of natural plain yogurt
· 2 tbsps. of honey

Instructions:

1. Mash the banana and then stir it into the natural yogurt.
2. Warm the cup of peanut butter using a microwave or stove until it’s easy to stir.
3. Add the banana and yogurt mixture and the honey to the softened peanut butter.
4. Mix all ingredients until well-combined.
5. Pour the mixture into a non-stick container and then freeze overnight.

Take treating your dog a step further by turning it into an ice cream sundae party!

Ice Cream Topping Safe to Use

· A spoonful of applesauce
· Some dribbles of honey
· Bits of crispy bacon
· A sprinkle of rice crispies
· Dashes of toasted sesame seeds

Reaction score
Fun ideas! My cats are so picky I'm not sure they'd gravitate to something new, but I might try. A friend of mine just took on the care of a Boston terrier (whose owner, sadly, went into hospice and since then passed away), and I might make her some custom dog treats for her new "Champ." Will have to discreetly inquire if he has any food or tummy issues.

Reaction score
I've been gone so long but happy I returned to something for my babies. @ChesterV, I am guessing that the cat birthday cake would be okay for my dogs? It would be made with mixed feelings since I am still saddened by my cat's passing a couple years. Doggie ice cream should also put my dogs on cloud nine.They are due something new.

Reaction score
I've been gone so long but happy I returned to something for my babies. @ChesterV, I am guessing that the cat birthday cake would be okay for my dogs? It would be made with mixed feelings since I am still saddened by my cat's passing a couple years. Doggie ice cream should also put my dogs on cloud nine.They are due something new.

So nice to see you on here again!
:D

Sorry to hear about your kitty!!! (((hugs)))

Yes, if your dogs aren't allergic to any of the ingredients for the cat cakes, they should like them as well.
You can substitute the canned tuna for canned chicken, turkey, beef, or ham if you want.

Ask a Question