Baking gingerbread with a 4 year-old

Reaction score
We had my sister-in-law, brother-in-law and 4 year-old niece staying with us recently, and after a trip to the local zoo (hence the face painting!) we baked some gingerbread. It was great fun and she loved it - especially the decorating! I chose gingerbread because it can put up with a lot of handling which makes it ideal for baking with children.

Here's the recipe we used: How to make perfect gingerbread

Here's a picture!

baker bunny.jpg

We must have made about 30, and it was really tasty. The only problem was I used too much ground cloves - I only had whole cloves so we ground them fresh, but of course it was a much stronger flavour. I tried to compensate but should have cut it down even more. With hindsight I also wouldn't have let her near the silver balls - she dropped a handful on the floor and they rolled everywhere! All in all good fun though :D

Reaction score
She looks very pleased with her creations. :D I used to love making gingerbread men as a kid (actually...I still do) and I've had great fun making them with other kids over the years. There's so much diversity in how to decorate them, they're great fun for all ages!

Reaction score
What a little cutie your niece is, Becky and I agree she looks quite pleased with the cookies. This brings back fond memories of make gingerbread men with my daughter. Decorating them is always such fun with children.

Reaction score
Your niece is so lovely! Thanks for sharing, that gingerbread looks so good, never tried baking that, but I might try this recipe. I like to experiment a bit ;) I love how easy is to decorate it, I think this is way ginger bread is a great decorating project for kids.

Ask a Question