Baking in half the time - all of a sudden.

Reaction score
I've been baking the Challah recipe in "Baking with Julia" for years and it's always been fine and everything goes according to Hoyle. Lately, the last three sessions, the loaves have been reaching their done temps of 190 - 210 within half the prescribed backing time. The last batch came out very dry, but I attributed that to adding too much flour ( in an attempt to get the dough to clean the sides of the mixing bowl as prescribed in the recipe) and the fact that I had too high a temp and too long a period for the multiple rises, which I think is correct, but the baking times are off the chart too short from the hundreds of other loaves I have made with this recipe. Something is goofy. Any input is gratefully accepted.

Further info: I use two Viking ovens and they both turn out the same results and I even put an oven thermometer in the one oven today and it measured correctly.

Reaction score
You used too much flour and baking temp was too high. That's part, or all, of the equation.

Reaction score
Baking temperature was quite precise. Maybe a bit too much flour in the original post, but that does not speak to the time variation. I made this recipe again yesterday, and again the baking time was cut in half. I used an additional thermometer inside the oven to regulate the temperature as well. I have made this recipe hundreds of times and in the past has always taken 40 minutes, but lately only 20 to bake a huge challah to internal 200º. Also, crumb texture was fine this time in spite of time variation on this round.

Reaction score
You have changed something, or have not accounted for and explained a change in this thread. Baking times don't reduce by 50% on their own.

Ingredients, equipment or method has changed. What changed?

Ask a Question