Baking in the Classroom

Reaction score
In addition to being a mom, I'm a teacher. I think we are entirely missing the beam on integrating math and science in simple, practical ways for our kids. I would like to integrate a "Baking Curriculum" for third grade students. Can anyone recommend some recipes that would require 1/2 measurements and precise times for mixing? While I don't wish to start with something super complex, I believe the recipe should be semi-challenging to help students grasp math and science concepts through baking. I look forward to your suggestions!

Reaction score
You can make bread dough in plastic bags, the students make their own in their own plastic bag and can knead it and mix it and get it ready. You can have them shape pretzels or make small loaves. Make sure you have some parent help though as the flour tends to get a little messy.:)

Reaction score
Well, my suggestion would be to have everything already set up. You can even have all the dry ingredients together. Then the kids will only have to mix in the wet ingredients.

Reaction score
You can make bread dough in plastic bags, the students make their own in their own plastic bag and can knead it and mix it and get it ready. You can have them shape pretzels or make small loaves. Make sure you have some parent help though as the flour tends to get a little messy.:)

I love the idea of individual baggies! Thanks for the suggestion.

Reaction score
I can't give any recommendations, specifically. Though if you like a recipe, just look for the mini version of it. No, seriously! Also, use muffin tins for small things. You'd be surprised at all the non-muffin like things you can make with them. I love the plastic bag idea.

Reaction score
Any recipe should be able able to be broken down into more complex measurements simply by cutting it in half or making two thirds of the recipe - something that will cause all the measurements to be trickier - to challenge the kids. I like the idea of using muffin tins as well, since you can make them work out exactly how much they should be putting into each one, and calculate how many the total recipe should make.

You might even be able to combine this with an art class of sorts - learning color theory for example by mixing food dyes for the frostings. Or maybe even making their own "Play Dough" in different colors.

Ask a Question