Baking in the summer heat

Reaction score
Living in Scotland, we don't have the need to install air conditioning in our homes, as our summertime doesn't generally last very long! But for the last couple of weeks here it's been pretty hot, and even indoors, there doesn't seem to be any escaping the heat.

This means that I haven't wanted to turn the oven on to do any baking, and I've found myself going out to buy things I could easily make at home if it wasn't so hot.

Does the summer heat put you off baking?

Reaction score
Luckily, I live on the Central Coast of California and the average high temperature in the Summer is about 73*F. I can bake on most days without any fear of creating too much heat in the house.
On the rare very warm day, I do not want to bake. I want to jump in the pool!

Reaction score
Yes, I live in Pennsylvania or summers are very hot. Any ways before we go an air conditioner i would order out. It got so hot even if you did bake or cook. By the time you where done you just felt sick. Covered in sweat you had to take a shower after. I would love to go to Scotland sounds nice. So any ways we got the air so now it doesn't even bother me . I can cook till I am content.

Reaction score
I do bake in the summer but I time to the cooolest parts of the day . I bake in the early morning before it has a chance to rreally heat up or in the wee hours of the night after it has already cooled down for the day.

Reaction score
Summer heat is a major turn off for baking.

I normally eat more ice cream during warmer months. However, if I feel a need to bake, I get early when the air is cool and do it. Right now, I can't take the heat like I used to. It's just too much. So, I adjust my lifestyle based on the season.

Reaction score
That's a good idea, getting it done early, before it starts to get too hot during the day. I will need to change up my routine a little.

@ True2marie - I feel the same way. The heat never used to bother me so much, I used to be quite a sun worshipper. But now, it just seems to make me feel grumpy! It must be my age.

Reaction score
If I do bake during the summer, I bake at night because I can't handle how hot the apartment gets in the afternoon. We have an air conditioner but I try not to use it too much because it really makes a difference to our electric bill.

Reaction score
It's extremely hot in jamaica at this time of the year which means i have to conform to late night baking but it is somewhat fun as that time of the night my hubby is up with me.

Reaction score
Here I am complaining about the summer heat in Scotland - I'm sure it's nothing compared to your temperature in Florida or Jamaica! I really don't know how I could handle it. I guess it's just what we're used to though. I'm sure you're both somewhat accustomed to the high temperatures you have.

I bought some baking ingredients at the store earlier, but i certainly won't be turning the oven on today. The ice cream thread has put me in the mood for some, so I might just mix up some cookie dough and add it to some ice cream instead!

Ask a Question