Baking lemon raspberry cookies for wedding...they're like crumbly pancakes

Reaction score
Hi All,

Not sure how this works, first time posting so I hope it's ok to ask for help like this. I'm baking a delicious cookie recipe (below) but every time I finish baking, the cookies are flat. They're not puffed up like the pictures on the page. They're soft, almost like cake but they crumble so easily. So if you pick up a cookie it immediately goes limp and crumbles. I baked them the full 16 minutes and chilled the dough. Is there too much fat? Do I need more baking soda?
Any help or tips are appreciated! Thanks!

https://bake-eat-repeat.com/raspberry-lemon-cookies-recipe/
Ingredients:
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 large egg
1/2 lemon, zest and juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup frozen raspberries, coarsely chopped

Reaction score
Hello just off the top of my head I would try the following.

Eliminate the lemon juice. Use zest only. Rub zest into sugar to release oil. Juice doesn’t impart flavor in baked goods and the water in it effects hydration.

Use cold butter, not warm.

See Stella Parks on the proper way to cream butter and sugar.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.se.../12/cookie-science-creaming-butter-sugar.html

The frozen raspberries are introducing water and you unfortunately can not control how much. Try reducing the amount of fruit.

A cake texture is caused by baking powder. Try eliminating it and slightly increase the baking soda to 1/2 tsp.

The flour to fat ratio is 63%. Which is okay.

The brand butter can have an effect on water ratios in the dough. Brands like Plugra and those labeled European style are better to bake with as they have have less water than American sweet cream butter.

Ask a Question