Baking Mix, or Biscuits From Scratch?

Reaction score
I tend to use Bisquick, since I mainly use it for when a strong craving for biscuits and gravy hits, and I want them immediately. I've made them from scratch, but it's been a while, and it seems easier to use some mixes these days, since this kitchen is small. I love the taste of the Bisquick biscuits, so using the mix doesn't bother me. What do you prefer to do, use a mix to make biscuits, or make them from scratch?

Reaction score
We just use Bisquick here too when we're making biscuits - it's one of those things that like you said is just a big craving that seems to strike at the most random of times!

If I made them from scratch it would take a lot longer, and Bisquick does the job just fine!

Reaction score
I have yet to try Bisquick gals, but if I really wanted to eat biscuits I'd use a mix. After all I do the same when the craving for brownies strike ;) I just buy a brownie mix and bake it :p Same with cakes, if we really want a cake quick we just get a mix, make the right changes though and voila! A really tasty cake that doesn't seem to be a cake box mix one.

Reaction score
I grew up using Bisquick, so I am very familiar with it. It is so easy! I have also made them from scratch and thought the scratch recipes usually tasted better. Bisquick is great if you don't have time, but I don't think it's really that healthy.

Reaction score
I haven't found a difference between the store brand mixes and Bisquick, but I still tend to buy Bisquick when I want baking mix on hand, because it has the drop biscuit recipe on the side of the box. I have also made them from scratch, and haven't noticed that much of a difference. I'll have to read the ingredients, to see if there are additives I don't want to be ingesting, but I thought when I last read them they were pretty innocuous.

The craving is getting strong, so I think I'll be making biscuits and gravy this weekend.

Reaction score
I use baking mix often for biscuits, pancakes, ect. It is quick and easy. However: when I get a yearning for home made biscuits, I use a recipe that calls for oil instead of shortening. Here is the recipe that I use:

2 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup oil
2/3 cup milk

Stir together dry ingredients
Put oil into measuring cup, add milk, do not stir.
Add to dry ingredients.
Mix lightly to moisten ingredients, Knead one or two times to form a ball.
Roll out between 2 sheets plastic wrap until about 1/2 inch thick.
Cut into 12 biscuits.(2")
Bake at 475 for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.

I really like the texture of these much better than biscuits made with shorening.

Reaction score
I use baking mix often for biscuits, pancakes, ect. It is quick and easy. However: when I get a yearning for home made biscuits, I use a recipe that calls for oil instead of shortening. Here is the recipe that I use:

2 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup oil
2/3 cup milk

Add to dry ingredients.

I really like the texture of these much better than biscuits made with shorening.

That sounds like a good recipe to have. I don't usually happen to have shortening on hand. I do right now for something I made, but usually don't, although i always have oil. I wonder if this would work for drop biscuits, or is strictly for roll out ones?

Reaction score

2 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup oil
2/3 cup milk

Add to dry ingredients.

is this using All Purpose flour ? I'm new to baking and the recipes I've been using don't rise very well,I'm actually trying to make a batch of freezer biscuits,so I can get away from the store bought ones,I would like to be able to just bake a couple at one time,as in 2

,any help would be appreciated

Reaction score
I LOOOOOVE biscuits. Especially the fluffly flaky ones. Unfortunately they never come out like that no matter what recipe I try. I prefer from scratch but I suck at them. I haven't had some in a while (we switched to whole wheat flour at home) but before we made the change, I used to use a very simple drop recipe with Presto flour. It was actually my recipe for the biscuits and shepherd's pie and anything that called for bread type ingredient. LOL It was easy and delicious.

Reaction score
I'm working on getting mine fluffy to new mom,I did follow a recipe with oil and used the 1/4 measuring cup to scoop the dough out and it made em rise a lot better,I was using my scraper to cut em up with,it does look like that the measuring cup works better or is that the same as a drop biscuit ?

and is drop biscuits the same as what we called cats head biscuits when I was young ? I do remember then being real fluffy

Ask a Question