Baking some Finnish bread today

Reaction score
I'm currently in the process of making some Saaristolaisleipä, which is a traditional Finnish bread. It is nearing the end of its second prove, so I'll be putting it in the oven shortly - and it takes a whopping 1 hr 45 mins! It's the first time I've made it, but it smells delicious so far. Here's the recipe (given to me by a friend - it's his version of this type of bread):

330ml dark ale
7g sachet of dry yeast
2 tsp salt
100ml treacle
100ml rye flour
2 tbsp sunflower seeds
4 tablespoons oats
1 tablespoon milled flaxseed
500ml strong malted brown flour

1. Warm the beer until warm but not hot (you should be able to comfortably put your fingers in it), then add the syrup. Once fully dissolved into the beer, add the yeast.
  2. Put all the other ingredients into a bowl, mix well, then add the ale / syrup / yeast mixture. Mix until well combined (it should be very wet - no need to knead), then cover bowl with clingfilm and leave to rise until doubled in size.
  3. Transfer to a greased 3lb loaf tin, cover with cling film and leave to rise until doubled in size again.
  4. Bake for 1 hr 45 mins at 140C (fan oven).
  5. Mix 1 tbsp of treacle with 3 tbsp water, and 30 mins before the end of baking brush the top with the watered-down syrup.
  6. When the baking time is done take the bread out of the tin and brush again with the watered-down syrup.
  7. Wrap in foil and then a tea towel, and leave to cool overnight.
I'll keep you posted with how it turns out! :)

Reaction score
Your wish is my command! :D

The mixed dough:
1 Saaristolaisleipä mixed dough.jpg

After the first prove:
2 Saaristolaisleipä after first prove.jpg

Transferred to 3lb loaf tin:
3 Saaristolaisleipä transferred to tin.jpg

Second prove:
4 Saaristolaisleipä second prove.jpg

The baked loaf, glazed with syrup:
5 Saaristolaisleipä baked and glazed.jpg

Finished loaf:
6 Saaristolaisleipä finished loaf.jpg

A slice with cream cheese - yum!
7 slice of Saaristolaisleipa.jpg

Can't wait to get some smoked salmon in and have the Saaristolaisleipä with salmon, cream cheese and pickled gherkins :)

Reaction score
Great pictures! So it's a savory bread, I take it? I can definitely see it being served with some kind of smoked salmon if it's Finnish!

Love getting to travel the world through baking - I don't even have to leave home!!

Reaction score
I am speechless with the recipe and with the pics as well. I am trying to imagine how it would taste because of the beer. This is the first time I've heard of baking using beer. The Christmas fruit cake is well known for the rum (I hope I am right on this) and there are other cakes with liquor but not beer. But I have to be honest that the ingredients are somewhat alien to me so I have to admit that I cannot bake this one.

Reaction score
Wow. That's something. I have said a hundred times here that I am afraid of working with yeast. I am quite intimidated by it. Hooray to you @Becky. I looks great.

Reaction score
Wow. That's something. I have said a hundred times here that I am afraid of working with yeast. I am quite intimidated by it. Hooray to you @Becky. I looks great.

Don't be afraid of it! This bread was surprisingly simple - and no kneading required :) Just takes time, but most of that is waiting for it to prove.

Reaction score
Thanks!

It's actually kinda sweet, but goes well with savoury food. In fact it goes well with sweet things too! I don't think you're 'meant' to though ;)

I like it!! Sounds versatile - and hey, breaking rules is fun sometimes if you ask me!!

Reaction score
That looks really hearty. I thought it would be savory, also. With those ingredients, it seemed it would be for sure. I'm always interested in things that don't need to be kneaded, or require little kneading. I'll have to look up treacle. I've heard of it before, but can't recall what it is.

Reaction score
I made some dinner rolls sometime ago but I really must work on overcoming my fear of yeast related recipes. Being such a rush person I suspect the long times might also be something that puts me off. I might not like to make the bread but I eat on sight:p. @ChesterV, do you know anything about that mysterious disappearance?

Reaction score
I made some dinner rolls sometime ago but I really must work on overcoming my fear of yeast related recipes. Being such a rush person I suspect the long times might also be something that puts me off. I might not like to make the bread but I eat on sight:p. @ChesterV, do you know anything about that mysterious disappearance?

You must have me confused with someone else.....I know not of what you speak!
giphy.gif

Ask a Question