Baking with a Microwave?

Reaction score
The oven in our kitchen is not working properly, so I thought about using the microwave instead. I found a lot of recipes online, but I am not really sure if they will work. Have you any experiences in baking with a microwave? Do you have recipes that really work? Spill!

Reaction score
I've found that only a few types of things bake well using the microwave. I've made the chocolate cake mug a few times and it came out alright. It's got nothing on your standard oven baked cake, but that's understandable.

Also, the microwave might not be your only avenue. I've made more than a few "baked" desserts using a crock pot/slow cooker. Slow cooked cobblers and cakes may sound strange, but they've never let me down.

There's plenty of recipes online for microwave and crock pot baking, but if you're looking for something that's been tried by someone you know, hit me up and I'll pass along the recipes I used.

Reaction score
I tried brownies in the microwave and it was a disaster! I will really be better off trying recipes you have already tried.

I have never heard of using crock pots. It is very intriguing! I'm glad you found recipes that work well for you.

Reaction score
I have baked in a microwave before and while it is not nearly the same as an oven it does work. Like Baker Man, I've made a chocolate mug cake. It didn't come out exactly as planned the first few times but with each try I got better. Make sure you have a good recipe to start with so you can avoid all the mishaps.

Reaction score
I would recommend using a slow cooker instead of a microwave. Personally I have never had success baking in a microwave and the more I thought about it I was concerned about having something in the microwave for so long and then eating it, so to me the disasterous baking session was a blessing in disguise. I have seen some great cobbler or crumble recipes for the slow cooker and I have also seen some interesting sauces for ice cream.

Reaction score
I tried brownies in the microwave and it was a disaster! I will really be better off trying recipes you have already tried.

I have never heard of using crock pots. It is very intriguing! I'm glad you found recipes that work well for you.

Yes, I didn't believe it was possible to make a cake in a slow cooker, and as forextraspecialstuff said in the post above, there's more than a few cobbler recipes floating around out there. I've not tried any cobblers though, just cakes.

First off, I have a nice Apple Spice Cake.

• 6 cups Apples (I know this seems like a lot, but if you have a standard sized crock pot you'll be fine. For the record I used Honey Crisp apples.)
  • A boxed Spice Cake mix (I recommend going with pre-fab spice cake at first, until you can work the kinks out of using the crock pot for baking.)
  • 1/2 cup butter
Peel and slice up the apples. Melt the butter. Now you can add some nuts here, walnuts or pecans would work well. I used walnuts and it went over well.

Spray the inside of the crock pot with nonstick spray. Load in the apples. Add the cake mix and the melted butter. If you're using nuts, this is where you should add them.

Set the crock pot to Low and run it for about 4-5 hours. Use the toothpick trick here and there the last hour or so, just to make sure it doesn't over bake.

I love making this cake. The smell of the spice cake and the apples wafts through my kitchen for hours. The messed up thing is that I can't even eat it, because I'm allergic to apples and nuts. My wife loves it though. I trust her judgement. :D

Reaction score
  • 2 tbs cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup chocolate milk
  • 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
  • 2 tbs cocoa powder (This is not a typo.)
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter chips
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 2 tbs vegetable oil
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 3/4 cup sugar (Not a type either.)
  • 1 1/2 cups boiling water
This here is what my lovely wife calls "The Mega Chocolate PB Cake of Dooooooooom." Yes, she stretches the doom. :rolleyes:

First thing you want to do is get that water heating towards it's boiling point.

Bowl up the 2 tbs cocoa powder, the chocolate chips, the PB chips, vanilla, 1/3 cup of sugar, flour, vegetable oil, baking powder and milk. Whisk the heck out of it. Bear in mind it will be thick and you will get a workout doing this. Don't worry though, any muscles you get making this cake will be destroyed once you eat it.

Gently pour the chocolate and PB thickness into the crock pot. Keep it even because you're going to be doing some layering here.

Now take that water that should be boiling by now and you whisk in the leftover cocoa powder and sugar into it. Once that's good and mixed, pour it over the chocolate and PB thickness.

Cover the crock pot up. Set it to high and prepare to drown in the olfactory glory of choco-peanut-butter. Let it go on high for 2 hours or so. After that let it cool in the crock pot for about 30-45 minutes.

I can eat this one and it is awesome. :cool:

Reaction score
I think you can actually bake in a microwave but it takes much more time and it's not that healthy knowing it's baked in an unnatural way. Anyway you can try but I always try to avoid using microwave as much as I can because I read many articles about how unhealthy it actually is.

Reaction score
OH. MY. GLOOOOOOOB!! You, @Baker Man , are the best person in the whole wide world! I cannot begin to thank you for this. I will definitely try this out! My father's birthday is next month and I'm thinking of trying the "The Mega Chocolate PB Cake of Dooooooooom"! We don't have a crock pot, because all we have is a rice cooker, but I will have to find a way of getting around that. I now want a crock pot for Christmas, but maybe I'll just get it myself, because my mother think it's weird for an 19-year-old to want a crock pot for Christmas or to want one at all.

Also, it's so sad that you can't eat what you made, but I'm happy that your wife loves it! Good for you!

Reaction score
I found this thread because I am currently baking pancakes in the microwave because we are out of gas for the stove. I have been out all week and baking in it just fine. Yesterday I did a carrot/zucchini cake that turned out really good. And today my pancakes are okay but I am using rice flour and so that is making it look different than usual. Also, I did not have enough eggs. The only problem I have found with recipe's online is that whatever time they say, it is probably different on your own microwave. My microwave is old and I have to cook it for double the time that it says. I do think small items are best. But yesterday my cake was big enough for 6 people and it turned out great. The only alteration I did was use half sugar and half honey instead of all sugar.

Ask a Question