Baking with Fondant

Reaction score
My daughter and I have been experimenting with fondant, but it doesn't come out all that well. It's just too thick and very chewy. Now, I have rolled and rolled it, but it still doesn't get thinner and less chewy. What am I doing wrong? Anyone have any ideas or thoughts?

Reaction score
Thanks so much! This is a pretty big help. I'm like you, I don't really like fondant as well, but if you're looking for the best presentation, then it can be nice to use. My daughter will want to try this right away. :)

Reaction score
Thanks so much! This is a pretty big help. I'm like you, I don't really like fondant as well, but if you're looking for the best presentation, then it can be nice to use. My daughter will want to try this right away. :)

I know the cakes are so pretty with the fondant, but I have seen so many cakes where the fondant was not eaten, and left aside, but this marshmallow actually does taste pretty good.... you can add extracts too to make it taste different.

Reaction score
I have found that after many disasters, that it is best to buy fondant. It is less stress and works brilliantly when you want to be a bit more creative in your decorating. It also hides a few imprefections in the cake. I used it this year to make my son's ambulance cake for his 3rd birthday and it turned out brilliantly.

Reaction score
My daughter and I attempted to make our own fondant a few months back and while it was an interesting sugary mixture (didn't taste all that bad) it came out nothing like it was supposed to! Kim...my only problem is that the store bought fondant is just so hard to manipulate and get to a manageable texture.

Reaction score
I've tried it once and only once lol. My son was obsessed with the look of fondant cakes and he was looking up recipes and designs, so we gave it a try. It went so horribly we just rolled it up in balls, plopped the whole lot of them on the cake and called it a day lol. He was the only one to eat from it :p

Reaction score
Decorating stores sell fondant and supplies. I follow the recipe for marshmallow fondant. I dust a clean pastry cloth with cornstarch. I roll the fondant with a rolling pin.

Reaction score
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Marshmallow-Fondant/

Try this recipe for the fondant. Made with marshmallows. I made it once, and it is very pliable. I don't particularly like to work with fondant, I prefer frosting, but give this recipe a try and see if it helps.
Thank you for sharing! I'm nervous to try making it, but you have to start somewhere, right? Thanks for the link! I'm going to attempt this over the weekend! I've never tried working with fondant, but I'm anxious to try it out! Thanks again!

Ask a Question