Baking with Fresh Mangoes - Raw Middle

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I have been trying to make muffins with chopped fresh mangoes. It's mango season where I am and it makes sense to take advantage. I use my usual muffin batter (creamed butter with sugar and egg combined with sifted flour, baking powder and salt - the usual) and in the two times that I have made it, the center ends up raw - even if I cook it for way, way longer.

I reckon its the liquid in the mango that prevents my muffin from cooking all the way through. Is there a way for me to mix these mangoes into my muffin without it ending up raw again?

Reaction score
I'd try less mango.
Before adding the fruit, scoop one muffin into a pan without fruit to check the batter. Bake it and check it .
Without fruit it should bake very quickly, don't bake by the clock.

Then do some with half as much fruit, some with extra fruit, the difference will show where the problem is.

Reaction score
I'd puree the mango and substitute it in a recipe that specifically uses a fresh pureed fruit, such as kiwi bread. Mango and kiwi are both juicy, altho I presume kiwi is more acidic. The substitution may work. You might want to add a little more mango to account for the higher liquid content of kiwi.

I learned the hard way that fresh fruit chunks never work in cake batter. You might want to stick it in bread pudding. Did you know that mangos freeze well? Peel and slice them, put them on a skewer, they make great popsicles.

I love mangos!

Ask a Question