Baking with Themes in Mind

Reaction score
Do you ever bake with themes in mind? For instance make a meal that includes apples and then bake a dessert that also includes apples? I do this and some of my favorite ingredients to make meals with and bake with are apples and pineapples. Pineapples are so summery sweet and I can put them in several meals and I just love to make pineapple upside down cake. Apples is one of my favorites for the fall and one of my families favorite meals is Apple glazed porkchops with rice and veggies then for dessert I make apple pie. I like the theme idea and I am trying to introduce it more to my family. This is expanding my cooking because I try to find meals that include a fruit that would also be used in my dessert. An example of this is using sweet potatoes in the meal and as the dessert or even pumpkin.

Does anyone else venture to do this?

Reaction score
I don't cook with themes in mind but I can see why it would be festive and maybe a bit of a money saver if you buy a bunch of fruit at a weekly supermarket sale. It might even be a time saver if you chop and prep all your fruit at once.

I haven't done this before but I think it's a fine idea. Fruit and meat are a good combination. I love pineapple and ham together.

Reaction score
I don't do exactly this type of cooking. But when my kids were little, and I had them as well as nieces and nephews here all the time with me I would do other types of theme days. For St. Patrick's Day we'd do green things (green pancakes and milk were a big hit, green mac and cheese WAS NOT!), or we'd have a end of summer theme party and do fun stuff that was about the sun or such. It's always fun to do things like that with kids surrounding a holiday or a special event.

Reaction score
I have not began fixing anything with an exact theme in mind, but on rare occasion it just seems to start to snowball into a theme all on its own. Especially if something out of the ordinary is going on and maybe my subconscious just nudges it on out there.

Reaction score
I don't cook with themes in mind but I can see why it would be festive and maybe a bit of a money saver if you buy a bunch of fruit at a weekly supermarket sale. It might even be a time saver if you chop and prep all your fruit at once.

I haven't done this before but I think it's a fine idea. Fruit and meat are a good combination. I love pineapple and ham together.

This is just something I kind of discovered one day and I thought it was a great idea. I also love pineapple and ham together.

I don't do exactly this type of cooking. But when my kids were little, and I had them as well as nieces and nephews here all the time with me I would do other types of theme days. For St. Patrick's Day we'd do green things (green pancakes and milk were a big hit, green mac and cheese WAS NOT!), or we'd have a end of summer theme party and do fun stuff that was about the sun or such. It's always fun to do things like that with kids surrounding a holiday or a special event.

I am really thinking about the holidays and the fun things I have found on Pinterest for them baking wise. I am hoping that this year will be lots of fun at Halloween. What was wrong with the green mac and cheese? Did it taste weird?

I have not began fixing anything with an exact theme in mind, but on rare occasion it just seems to start to snowball into a theme all on its own. Especially if something out of the ordinary is going on and maybe my subconscious just nudges it on out there.

In a way I guess that is how mine started and it just has carried on from there. I now purposely seek fruits that I can use in a meal and as a dessert to go along with it.

Reaction score
I am really thinking about the holidays and the fun things I have found on Pinterest for them baking wise. I am hoping that this year will be lots of fun at Halloween. What was wrong with the green mac and cheese? Did it taste weird?

It tasted fine but it was a rather funky shade of green....and that put them off.

I've also done the April Fools thing where I made dessert that looked like dinner. If I remember correctly it was mini "cheeseburgers" made from Nilla wafers, chocolate frosting, etc. I also made "spaghetti" with tubed frosting and "meatballs" with malted milk balls or some such.

Reaction score
It tasted fine but it was a rather funky shade of green....and that put them off.

I've also done the April Fools thing where I made dessert that looked like dinner. If I remember correctly it was mini "cheeseburgers" made from Nilla wafers, chocolate frosting, etc. I also made "spaghetti" with tubed frosting and "meatballs" with malted milk balls or some such.

Now that sounds neat for April Fools day. I can see why the green mac n cheese would look weird.

Ask a Question