Banana and other breads

Reaction score
Whenever I bake a zucchini or banana bread, the very middle of the bread where you poke your toothpick will come out gooey while the rest if the bread is done. I tried putting a piece of foil over the middle with same result. I’ve also tried moving the loaf around in the oven. Any other suggestions. I cannot buy a new oven. Thanks!!

Reaction score
Whenever I bake a zucchini or banana bread, the very middle of the bread where you poke your toothpick will come out gooey while the rest if the bread is done. I tried putting a piece of foil over the middle with same result. I’ve also tried moving the loaf around in the oven. Any other suggestions. I cannot buy a new oven. Thanks!!

1) failure to reduce water content of high water ingredients like banana and zucchini.

Place bananas in microwave-safe bowl; cover with plastic wrap and poke holes in plastic for steam vents. Microwave until bananas are soft and released liquid, about 5 minutes.

Transfer bananas to fine-mesh strainer placed over medium bowl and drain, stirring occasionally, 15 min until ½ to ¾ cup liquid is extracted.

Transfer liquid to medium saucepan and cook over medium-high heat until reduced to ¼ cup, about 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat, stir back into bananas.

Zucchini needs to be squeezed of excess water before used in baking.

Different methods for removing water:

2) Oven temperature: preheat the oven for at least 30 minutes to ensure the oven chamber is fully heated. Use an oven thermometer to ensure oven is at correct temperature. It’s common for home ovens to run hotter or colder than the set temperature. Once you confirm the temperature with an oven thermometer, you may need to calibrate your oven. Check you owner’s manual for instructions.

3) Pan: light metal, uncoated is best for all baking. Dark metal and coated metal conducts heat to intensely. This results in the bottom and crust to bake too quickly, leaving the center raw. If using a dark metal or coated metal pan, you will need to reduce the oven temperature to 25°F.

4) Bake until done, not time on recipe. Since every oven is different, you must bake until the goods are done.

Reaction score
Thanks I have used a Creuset baking tin that is dark and coated! So will try lower temp and different loaf pan. Also these bananas were frozen and very liquid despite draining. Thanks for all the great suggestions.

Reaction score
Thanks I have used a Creuset baking tin that is dark and coated! So will try lower temp and different loaf pan. Also these bananas were frozen and very liquid despite draining. Thanks for all the great suggestions.

When selecting bakeware, plain and simple is best.

examples of uncoated bakeware.

Ask a Question