Banana Bread Mini Loaves

Reaction score
Hey there -

I am currently experiencing an issue with the mini loaves of banana bread I've been baking. I've been using the same recipe as I always have (and have for years). Same oven (and also a new oven in the second kitchen), ingredients and instructions - but now the mini breads are sort of "exploding" while they are baking! I am so puzzled, as it seems everything it pretty much consistent over here, but it's happening on both ovens and I'm not sure what would cause it.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• image (1).jpg
    image (1).jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 454
Reaction score
Are you using a different brand of any of your ingredients, or could you have possibly misread the amount of one of the ingredients, such as baking soda, if that's included? If that's not the case, has the weather changed at all? It seems sometimes I have issues when it's a particularly humid day. Where I live is always somewhat humid, but sometimes it's even more so, and occasionally that seems to affect my baked goods.

Reaction score
Oh dear. If you are using the same recipe I am really surprise to hear this. Are they sitting in the same area of the oven as in the past? Are the ingredients the same brand of ingredients? Outside of that I would hazard a guess and say it might have something to do with the temperature outside although I honestly know if that makes a lot of sense. It just might based on what Diane said.

I just thought of something. Are the bananas of the same texture every time?

Reaction score
Ingredients, elevation, or the pans you are using are usually to blame in this case. These are especially true if you have double-checked to ensure that you are using the EXACT same recipe as you always have. Also, make sure that you are not over-mixing your batter. Generally, banana bread is better when the ingredients are incorporated, but over-mixing has proven a bad thing for this bread for me in the past.

Reaction score
Sounds like a mixture issue to me. If a batter is not mixed well enough before baking, sometimes unmixed portions will cause bubbles to form around them while baking and can explode.

Have you ever made a cake and it comes out with white lumps in it? This is along the same lines....
Because of the banana's, some unmixed ingredients can react to the banana and cause bubbles to form and then explode.

I'm not sure how you make your batter, but putting the bananas in last, after the rest of the batter has been properly mixed might help out.

Reaction score
Is it especially humid in your area? I find that I have some baking issues when it's extremely humid. I usually try to wait and bake during a cooler part of the day (night or early morning) if that is the case. Just thought I'd throw that out there in case the other tips don't fix it.

Reaction score
Banana bread is up there with one of my all time favorites, and in general I am a fan of anything bite sized or "mini", so this really seems right up my alley. I am sorry to hear about your issues, and I am sad that you are experiencing barrier to delicious banana bread. I think I would go with @Winterybella and check if the bananas are the issues...they seem to be the only thing that may be different. Best of luck to you.

Reaction score
That is a baking conundrum - same of everything but the result is different, huh. And by that exploding, I think it is because of too much heat. When we bake pudding and the oven is too hot, the pudding rises as if to explode in some parts. Maybe you have to check the desired temperature of your baking and if it is followed then the oven may be at fault. On second thought you have been using 2 ovens? Indeed that is puzzling.

Ask a Question