Banana Bread Recipe

Reaction score
  1. Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Grease a 2lb loaf tin with some butter and line the base with baking parchment, then grease this as well.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together the butter, sugar and egg, then slowly mix in flour and baking powder. Peel, then mash the bananas. Now mix everything together, including the nuts.
  3. Pour your mixture into the tin and bake for 1 hr, or until a skewer comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool on a wire rack before removing from the loaf tin. The loaf can now be wrapped tightly in cling film and kept for up to 2 days, or frozen for up to 1 month. Defrost and warm through before serving. Serve in thick slices topped with vanilla ice cream and drizzled with a little Easy chocolate sauce (see recipe, below).

• 100g softened butter, plus a little extra for greasing
  • 140g caster sugar
  • 1 beaten egg
  • 225g plain flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 4 very ripe bananas
  • 85g chopped walnuts
  • 50ml milk

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing! This recipe only calls for 8 ingredients, I love that, plus I bet those chopped walnuts do make the difference :) My grandma made hers without them, I still lied hers tho, but I might really try this one out! It sounds yummy and sooo easy!!!!

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this one- sounds so good! Nothing like fresh, warm bread :). The walnuts sound good, I wonder if you could sub in other nuts and get just as yummy results?

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing! I didn't know you can make banana bread until now. I'm definitely going to try this out in the near future. Can you make bread with other fruits too? If yes, what other recipes do you know?

Reaction score
I am a banana lover so it's always great to see any recipe that calls for it. I am also keen when the ingredients are not overwhelming. This looks like something even a "new kid on the block" can put together.

Thanks for sharing.

Reaction score
This looks like a great recipe. I have a bunch of very ripe bananas. This morning I was thinking that they would be great for banana nut bread. I never heard of caster sugar. I looked it up. Just in case someone else wants to know, It's the British term for fine granulated sugar. I really do love the internet.

Reaction score
This looks like a great recipe. I have a bunch of very ripe bananas. This morning I was thinking that they would be great for banana nut bread. I never heard of caster sugar. I looked it up. Just in case someone else wants to know, It's the British term for fine granulated sugar. I really do love the internet.
upload_2014-11-14_2-59-45.jpeg The internet. What would we do without it? I knew about the caster sugar but never used it and didn't know the history. I am pretty sure it is easily accessible here in the Caribbean. I will actually look for some when I go to work later. Hoping to see your very own banana bread soon. In the meantime I will settle for my internet pictures.

Ask a Question