Banana bread secret

Reaction score
Everyone has their own Banana Bread recipe. Some use cinnamon, some sprinkle granulated sugar on top, and some prefer theirs with nuts. When I was younger my mom would try them all, but one thing was constant. She told me that in order to make a flavorful Banana Bread is to use overripe bananas. When I say overripe, I mean overripe! The skin of the banana should be black. Once it's black, it's perfect to use. I hope you guys try it out and feel free to tell me if it's better or not.

Reaction score
I love Banana Bread! Its an all time favorite in my home. :p

I love little secrets like this and its funny how it can make such a big difference. Did your mom share why she waits until bananas are over ripe? I would think its because they are sweeter and softer. I've used brown bananas but not black bananas. o_O However, I am going to try that next time.

To the contrary of black bananas, I heard that you receive most nutrients from a banana before they are ripe, while they are still a little green and bitter. (Not that I would ever use that in banana bread!)

Reaction score
My mom just told me that it would taste better. Lol. I think your reasoning (sweeter and softer) makes a lot of sense. That could be the reason. When I was younger, I was really grossed out with those black bananas. They don't look yummy at all.

Reaction score
That is one secret about Banana Bread secret I haven't heard of, but I will be giving it a try. I love baking old recipes with new ideas, can't wait to try it. Thanks for the tip!!

Reaction score
It makes sense because the bananas will be sweeter. It's the texture that makes it so gross to each normally. It's a great way to avoid throwing out "bad" bananas. I usually dehydrate "bad" bananas, but I'll keep in mind that they can be good for baking as well. Thanks.

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of banana bread myself. I think what has put me off it a little bit in the past though, is that the bread was a little soggy! I agree that very ripe bananas are great to use, it certainly results in a tastier bread overall compared to regular bananas.

Reaction score
Oh wow. I thought I had ripe bananas when I make my last cake. I would take this into consideration and see if it comes out any better. Thanks.

Reaction score
When I make it, I sometimes serve it as a pudding with a rum syrup - delicious!! :) You've got to be careful not to inhale too much of the fumes when you are making the syrup (which is made from just rum and sugar melted together) otherwise you get tipsy! ;)

Reaction score
Another thing I've learned about banana bread is that you probably don't want to add more banana than the recipe calls for. It might sound like a good idea because you think you'll be getting more sweetness and banana flavor, but in reality I've found it just makes the resulting banana bread flat and overly dense.

Reaction score
Black over-riped bananas is the best type of bananas to use when making Banana Bread. My secret recipe for making a delicious Banana Bread Recipe, I add Cream Cheese into my batter, that's my secret. I also like adding chopped pecans, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1-2 tsp Banana Extract, Nutmeg, and Cinnamon. Sometimes, I add raisins, but less brown sugar about 2-3 tbs instead. Remember, that bananas is sweeter when over-ripped and since the raisins are being added. :D

Reaction score
I baked banana bread with a friend of mine who was eating a fruit cup. She accidentally poured the syrupy fruit cup into the batter. So what did we do? We added more fruit cups! It turned out so moist and delicious! However, I don't think it was still considered banana bread. :p

Reaction score
I always make my banana bread with over ripe bananas. I had to use up some bananas that had gone black many years ago and it really made a difference. I do not like chunks of banana in my banana bread so i always whirl it up in the blender. I also cook wheat kernels,,, unground wheat,, to soften them up and add them to my banana bread instead of nuts. It gives the banana bread a little bit of "chew" that I really like.

Reaction score
I love any sort of banana bread and LOVE trying new ideas! I also use extremely over-ripe bananas but i also end up using almost half the amount of bananas the recipe calls for because if i use the full amount it always seems like the bread doesn't cook properly. I am loving reading all these comments and look forward to continue seeing everybody's ideas

Reaction score
On the Raza Malaysia website, there's a recipe for banana bread with a cheesecake filling. Do you guys ever make banana bread with filling?

edf0e9e9de589aaca40832f795630f4d.jpg

Reaction score
I always use well ripened (black) bananas when I make banana bread. Another thing I do is put the bananas, eggs, and butter in the blender and just run it until the mixture is smooth. I do not care for chunks of bananas in my bread and this works better than mashing up the bananas with the mixer. And I think it spreads the banana taste much better.

Reaction score
I have never heard of anyone using anything other than very ripe bananas (what was described above as over-ripe). Thoroughly mashed and well blended into the mix. Try using demerara sugar.

Ask a Question