Banana Bread

Reaction score
Hello all, I want to make banana bread today, but with virus/quarantine I'm limited to the 2 very small overripe bananas I have. Do I need to add more liquid to the batter to make up for the fact that I don't have the full amount of mashed banana? Like add extra oil or something? Or can I just make it with less banana, knowing it won't taste as good as it should but the bread will still have an edible texture? Thanks!

Reaction score
Usually, the butter or shortening, banana & eggs are enough to provide the moisture that you need.

Reaction score
Hello all, I want to make banana bread today, but with virus/quarantine I'm limited to the 2 very small overripe bananas I have. Do I need to add more liquid to the batter to make up for the fact that I don't have the full amount of mashed banana? Like add extra oil or something? Or can I just make it with less banana, knowing it won't taste as good as it should but the bread will still have an edible texture? Thanks!

Thats a bit light on the bananas, I would make a muffin batter and add chopped banana to it, bake in muffin tins.

Reaction score

yes always use the water from the bananas. I actually mash my bananas. Microwave them 30 seconds. Stir. Microwave 45 seconds. Then place the bananas over a fine mesh strainer over a bowl and let the bananas drain. Then heat the water over medium heat to reduce the water to about a 60 ml (1/4 cup). Call then mix back into the mashed bananas.

The reduced liquid not only concentrates the flavor of the banana but also prevents a soggy banana bread.

but as @retired baker pointed out, two small bananas really isn’t enough for banana bread. I use 300 g banana for my banana bread. Which is at least three medium-size bananas.

Reaction score
My Banana Bread recipe calls for 2 cup of banana. Whenever I'm short I simply add enough applesauce to make up the difference.

Ask a Question