Banana maruya

Reaction score
This is a dessert native to the Philippines that you can only find in the rural area being sold by roadside vendors which comes complete with their cookery. The banana is cut into half then dipped in a mixture of flour and egg with sugar. It is fried and what makes it more delectable is the cooked maruya is wrapped in banana leaf. It is good to eat when freshly cooked so the crust is still crunchy to the bite. The banana used is the big one called saba banana.

Reaction score
Mmm sounds a bit like a banana fritter or something!

I love getting to hear about the yummy sweets you have over there in the Philippines - it's like I get to travel the world for free! :)

Reaction score
This is a dessert native to the Philippines that you can only find in the rural area being sold by roadside vendors which comes complete with their cookery. The banana is cut into half then dipped in a mixture of flour and egg with sugar. It is fried and what makes it more delectable is the cooked maruya is wrapped in banana leaf. It is good to eat when freshly cooked so the crust is still crunchy to the bite. The banana used is the big one called saba banana.

When I was young, my grandmother always have Maruya ready for me and my brother whenever we got home from school. We do not wrapped it to banana leaf though. We just dig in.

Reaction score
This sounds like something that would work well with what we call plantains. It's always good to get another "twist" on "bananas".

Reaction score
This sounds like something that would work well with what we call plantains. It's always good to get another "twist" on "bananas".

Pardon me for my ignorance. I am quite confused with the plantain. In one site, I learned that the "banana saba" variety which is good for cooking is not really banana but plantain. So when I posted in another thread about food with plantain, someone remarked that it is banana and not plantain. But anyway, I know that banana is eaten raw and not cooked. The one that is cooked is plantain. Am I right on that?

Reaction score
Pardon me for my ignorance. I am quite confused with the plantain. In one site, I learned that the "banana saba" variety which is good for cooking is not really banana but plantain. So when I posted in another thread about food with plantain, someone remarked that it is banana and not plantain. But anyway, I know that banana is eaten raw and not cooked. The one that is cooked is plantain. Am I right on that?
You are correct. The other day I got some super huge plantains that really surprised me. I honestly believe some people probably eat plantain raw but it's not the case in my household or anyone I am close to.

Ask a Question