Banana Pudding Cake

Reaction score
I got this recipe from a friend and I have never tried it

Bake a white cake mix (this time I used banana).

When it cOols poke holes in it (I use an apple corer n go about midway thru the cake).

Mix up a large box of instant vanilla pudding and pour over the cake. Then refrigerate overnight

. The next day slice and put a layer of bananas over the pudding, top With cool whip and garnish with nilla wafer crumbles.

what i would like to know is, can I bake the cake mix in a glass 2 quart casserole dish ? and I'm assuming she is making a single layer cake,not the usual 2 layer cake,I'm not sure which it is :) but I do want to try this,so any help would be appreciated

Reaction score
Well, this does sound like one of those poke banana pudding cakes. They way I usually do this is by mixing the cake mix (i use vanilla), the size of the container doesn't matter that much... as long as it is deep enough. I bake the cake in a big pyro rey container (squared). Once the cake is done i poke the holes. I use vanilla pudding and add banana extract. I then add the pudding, spread it all over the cake, so it penetrates the cake. Then I do exactly what you said your friend does. It's very easy :)

Reaction score
OMG. My king would love this. I HAVE to try this for him. He LOVES bananas. When I bought cake mixes, the recommended pan sizes and baking times came in the back but Trellum is right. Size usually doesn't matter that much.

Reaction score
Well, this does sound like one of those poke banana pudding cakes. They way I usually do this is by mixing the cake mix (i use vanilla), the size of the container doesn't matter that much... as long as it is deep enough. I bake the cake in a big pyro rey container (squared). Once the cake is done i poke the holes. I use vanilla pudding and add banana extract. I then add the pudding, spread it all over the cake, so it penetrates the cake. Then I do exactly what you said your friend does. It's very easy :)

That sounds good. I've had a few poke cakes over the years, and have made one. The one I made was a whiskey poke cake, I think. It's been a while, so I don't recall exactly, but I made it with a friend, from her recipe, and I believe we used plastic drinking straws to poke the holes in the cake. I think it was a bundt cake. I've also had jello poke cakes, and those are good, too. Banana sounds delicious, as well. I wonder how it would be with chocolate pudding?

Reaction score
@Diane Lane Why not try? ;) I think it would work very well, if it was me I'd use chocolate cake mix, the chocolate pudding and I'd add some coffee extract to the pudding. Maybe also a bit of coffee extract would be added to the cake mix, just a tiny bit though! I'd love to try that! Does it sound good?

Reaction score
@Diane Lane Why not try? ;) I think it would work very well, if it was me I'd use chocolate cake mix, the chocolate pudding and I'd add some coffee extract to the pudding. Maybe also a bit of coffee extract would be added to the cake mix, just a tiny bit though! I'd love to try that! Does it sound good?

That does sound good @Trellum and I might end up adding a bit of Bailey's or Tia Maria, some type of liqueur, to make it even more special. I can't think about anything too sweet right now, but I've got a nice brownie recipe set aside for a good day, and will think about this, as well. Actually, I might be able to combine them somehow, that sounds pretty yummy!

Reaction score
Well I had no idea about this kind of cake. The only time I poke anything is when I am checking to see if my baking is finish and I really do give it quite a poking. I'd love to see a picture of this. The banana caught my attention. The result and method surprised me. I'll look this up but I doubt I'll be trying it anytime soon.

Reaction score
That does sound good @Trellum and I might end up adding a bit of Bailey's or Tia Maria, some type of liqueur, to make it even more special. I can't think about anything too sweet right now, but I've got a nice brownie recipe set aside for a good day, and will think about this, as well. Actually, I might be able to combine them somehow, that sounds pretty yummy!

Oh my, yes!!!!! I knew I was missing something lol, a good liquor is never a bad idea, they always that last finishing touch that makes any recipe taste even more special ;) Maybe try some kahlua if using coffee extract? I think those two would rock! We might have thought of a really nice and tasty dessert :) Do you think a chocolate cake mix would be too much?

Ask a Question