Help me find a banana upside down cake recipe!

Reaction score
hey guys, so about four years ago I made this banana upside down cake. I'm pretty sure I found it in the big Betty Crocker cookbook , I'm not very sure about this cause it was a long time ago. I don't have the book with me now. basically I'm trying to find the same recipe again. so from what I remember I know that there was light brown sugar and dark brown sugar involved in the recipe, there was cinnamon and nutmeg (basically some spices) . There was however no sour cream , muscovado sugar, maple syrup . I also think I remember that recipe had an alternate way of making it (maybe with pecans) not too sure about this. CAN SOMEONE HELP ME FIND THIS RECIPE?

Last edited:
Reaction score
hey , yes I'm pretty sure it uses self raising flour . the syrup to lay the bananas on used dark brown sugar, this I'm sure of.

Reaction score
That's a shame :( the thing with baking is that sometimes a lot of experimentation is required. If you find a recipe that you like that isn't quite right, then alter the ingredients depending on what you want to change. What was the difference between the cake you made recently and the one from 4 years ago? eg was it a different texture, how did the level of sweetness compare, etc.

Reaction score
the sweetness was pretty much the same , the texture is what is different, the cake I used to make was a lot more dense and less cakey if that makes sense , the cake I used to make also had cinnamon and nutmeg and also ground almonds so it was slightly nutty.

Reaction score
Yep any cake involving ground almonds will naturally be heavier, so if that's what you're looking for then maybe try substituting some of the flour. For example, this recipe uses half ground almonds and half flour (by volume):

https://www.donnahay.com.au/recipes/desserts-and-baking/banana-upside-down-cake

You could always try that recipe and add the spices? Half a tsp of cinnamon and 1/4 tsp of nutmeg would probably be enough.

Ask a Question