Basic French macaron recipe anyone?

Reaction score
Hi all! I’m definitely a macaron novice. Had only one attempt - while they taste great I have figured out I overdid the macronage as the batter was too thin, spread and had no ‘foot’. Will be more careful next time.
My real dilemma is getting a good recipe. Some macaron recipes show a ratio of equal parts almond meal to icing/powdered sugar, while other show twice as much sugar as almond meal. I’m very happy with a lower sugar ration - the thing is, does it matter? Thanks for any help!

Reaction score
Hi all! I’m definitely a macaron novice. Had only one attempt - while they taste great I have figured out I overdid the macronage as the batter was too thin, spread and had no ‘foot’. Will be more careful next time.
My real dilemma is getting a good recipe. Some macaron recipes show a ratio of equal parts almond meal to icing/powdered sugar, while other show twice as much sugar as almond meal. I’m very happy with a lower sugar ration - the thing is, does it matter? Thanks for any help!

use Stella Parks recipe. She took down her website, BraveTart. But this site has her recipe and a lot of useful information. Parks is a highly trained pastry chef. And she worked some time at a bakery where she made macarons on a regular schedule, so Parks knows a lot about macarons.

Parks also is an editor for Serious Eats. So if you’re looking for other baking projects you might check out her work there.

https://www.eatlivetravelwrite.com/2012/03/why-do-my-macarons-have-hollow-shells-a-work-in-progress/

Reaction score

In France commercial bakeries buy a premix called tant pour tant.
Translates to "as much as" but really means half and half.
Its half almond flour and half powdered sugar.
Used in macaron, japonaise, pate a success and all the other nut meringues.

If you're making your own you can vary as much as you want and people do.
More or less sugar will only change the mixing slightly, you can over do anything if you don't have a feel for it.
As soon as you can drop a figure eight in a ribbon and its glossy you're all set.
See some videos and watch the ribbon to test the folding.

Ask a Question