Why is my white bread yellow?

Reaction score
Hi. New baker here. I've been baking for a few months now. I baked this simple white bread from a Bertinet video. The bread taste delicious, but it's yellowish inside. When my guest asked why it was yellow I had no answer! It's a white bread recipe with 4 ingredients. Flour , water, yeast, salt. Is this normal ? My guess was that the yeast imparted the color, but it was just a guess.

Reaction score
Hi. New baker here. I've been baking for a few months now. I baked this simple white bread from a Bertinet video. The bread taste delicious, but it's yellowish inside. When my guest asked why it was yellow I had no answer! It's a white bread recipe with 4 ingredients. Flour , water, yeast, salt. Is this normal ? My guess was that the yeast imparted the color, but it was just a guess.

@Albie_baking, hello and welcome to the forum. Perfectly normal to have a yellowish crumb with unbleached flour.

The white-white bread in stores is made with white enriched flour, so a lot of the bran and germ removed. Removing the bran and germ makes a whiter flour. It also strips the flour of nutrients, so vitamins are added back in. Hence the name.

Enriched flour is also frequently bleached which makes for an ultra white flour. So anything made with it will have a very light crumb.

If you compare unbleached flour with bleached flour you’ll see a noticeable difference in color. The unbleached flour is a lot more beige in color. But when they aren’t side by side for comparison, the unbleached flour looks white.

Reaction score
So basically it's due to the flour?

Yes

This is Softasilk bleached cake flour (approx 8% - 9% protein) and Central Milling unbleached all purpose flour (10% - 10.5% protein)
DF512DCD-EFCC-4FAD-90F4-B79889502598.jpeg

Ask a Question