Bbq in the oven ?

Reaction score
Have you ever tried making your BBQ in the oven ? Summer is here, and it is the time for using the BBQ for almost everything. Sometimes, when you put ribs , or even chicken on the BBQ, it comes out dry and tough by the time it is done.
What we do sometimes, is marinate the meat overnite, and then cover it and put it in the oven so that it cooks and gets steamed and tender at the same time. Then, we put it on the BBQ and baste it with any BBQ sauce that we like on the meat. It doesn't take as long to cook, and the results are melt in the mouth tender !

Reaction score
We've done this before, it works really well for things that need longer cooking time. Unfortunately the opportunities for BBQs in the UK are not very frequent given the weather, so we use a griddle pan when we want BBQ type food but it's too cold or rainy for the BBQ. Oh to live in a warmer climate!

Reaction score
We also do something very similar when we cook BBQ ribs, which is not very often. When we do cook them, we set the oven on low (250*) and marinate the ribs in a brown sugar and bbq mixture then wrap them up in tin foil. After four hours, the ribs are so tender they fall off the bones. :p (I may be missing a step because its been at least a year since our last BBQ. o_O)

Reaction score
I use the oven for everything because apartment renters aren't really allowed to have barbecue grills. It's dangerous to have a hot grill on a small balcony so close to other people's dwellings. I actually don't mind the oven because I like meat with a crisp skin and all the fat rendered off. I hate wet, sloppy, fatty chicken, I like a crackly ,crisp brown skin.
The oven does a decent job with ribs too and renders off all the fat. I even like cooking bacon in the oven because it doesn't curl up.

Reaction score
I have also used the oven to BBQ Ribs with some very successful results. I found them to retain their flavor much more effectively in the oven, but they seem to fall off the bone a lot better when I grill them.

Reaction score
My situation is similar to ACSAPA too. I live in a rented apartment and so I use my oven for almost everything including BBQ. I even make my tandoori chicken in the oven and it tastes absolutely yummy. I never really had a problem of the meat ever being dry.

Reaction score
I tried making ribs in the oven once and it they turned out tough. The cooking time wasn't long enough. I never did try it again, mostly because my hubby has the most amazing recipe for ribs, made in the crock pot. They are fall off the bone, melt in your mouth tender and taste fantastic!

Reaction score
I bake barbecue chicken, and ribs in my oven all the time, but I prefer grilling my barbecue instead. Baking barbecue in the oven isn't as good as on the grill with that smokey taste, and flavor. I only use my oven when I'm feeling lazy to go outside to clean the grill, getting the bag of coal, and starting up the fire. But, my boyfriend does the grilling most of the time, when I like doing the baking instead. :p

Reaction score
Have you ever tried making your BBQ in the oven ? Summer is here, and it is the time for using the BBQ for almost everything. Sometimes, when you put ribs , or even chicken on the BBQ, it comes out dry and tough by the time it is done.
What we do sometimes, is marinate the meat overnite, and then cover it and put it in the oven so that it cooks and gets steamed and tender at the same time. Then, we put it on the BBQ and baste it with any BBQ sauce that we like on the meat. It doesn't take as long to cook, and the results are melt in the mouth tender !
Baking barbecue ribs in the oven makes it a brown, crispy and soft until it falls of your bone. But, I still love that smokey taste, and flavor when it's on the grill. Barbecue on the grill is a lot of work, especially when you're being lazy. Baking barbecue in the oven is faster, and much easier. But, I still like grilling my barbecue! ;)

Reaction score
We are actually BBQing on the grill, too, but we start it in the oven to make it come out tender. If it is covered and then baked, it seems to tenderize the meat, and then we put it on the BBQ grill for a while to get that smokey smell and flavor.
I like my BBQ smothered in sauce, and my hubby likes his plain, so when we finish it on the grill, then he adds the sauce on top of my portion so it can heat up and cook into the meat.

Reaction score
Although I love barbecuing on on the grill. I make barbecue chicken in the oven all the time. It's one of the easiest dishes to make, and baking the chicken in the barbecue sauce makes the chicken very tender and full of flavor.

Reaction score
Over the weekend, my dad made barbecue pulled pork. Because of all of the rain we've been having, he was unable to do anything outside, and especially not on the grill. he par-boiled the pork on the stove, and then slathered it in his homemade sauce, then baked the pork in the oven for about 25 minutes. The pork was tender and flavorful, some of the best i've ever had!

Reaction score

We have always had to improvise with the Irish weather and growing up we would cook things most of the way through in the oven and then finish them off outside on the BBQ. My hubby built a BBQ for our wedding party outside under a construction he made complete with roof and all the whole nine yards. Maybe you could post up your marinade recipe ;)

Reaction score
I've recently fallen in love with this dry rub recipe from Dinosaur BBQ in New York. There are some other versions of this recipe that call for regular paprika, but this one calls for smoked paprika - make sure you use the smoked variety as it makes a huge, huge difference. Smoked paprika, for those of you who haven't tried it, is like the "bacon" of spices. It packs a ton of flavor. Anyway, here is the recipe for their "Red Rub":

http://www.foodrepublic.com/2013/01/15/home-schooled-bbq-chicken-wings-recipe

They also published a recipe for their "Mutha Sauce" bbq sauce, which sounds delicious, but I haven't tried it yet.

This rub works fantastic on chicken. Just mix it with some vegetable oil to form a paste and smear it all over. Unlike many other dry rubs, it's not loaded with too much sugar, which becomes all caramel-y and unpleasantly sticky when you cook it in the oven, especially on stuff like chicken which cooks fast. This has just the right amount of sweetness.

Reaction score
I often cook ribs in the oven. I love bbq and can't get enough of it and refuse to wait until spring.

I have found the best way is to make a packet of double aluminum foil folding it first on the top of the ribs, then the sides, so that you can open one of the sides part way through.

I add any rub to the ribs that I want, seal it up, and put them in the oven at 275° and cook for at least 3 hours. Then I open one side and pour in the sauce and cook at least another two hours. I finish them off by taking them out of the foil, and baking them at 400°until they brown and get crispy, after slathering them with more sauce.

This has always produced tender ribs.

I have bought some hickory chips and plan to add a few of these, well soaked, to the foil packet next time to see how that works. I'm hoping for that nice smoky flavor.

Reaction score
Yes! I usually cook large slabs of pork in the oven and then chop it in small bits once it's done cooking. It usually comes out tender. I also marinate it the day before with the usual seasoning and then add barbecue sauce while it's in the oven. Turns out pretty great!

Reaction score
since I have a smoker these days,I don't really grill much of anything :)

a dual probe thermometer will help with the ribs being tough in an oven,a single probe one will be fine too,just make sure your oven temp is the same as what the knob says,I did find out mine runs 25 degrees Fahrenheit more than what the dial is set at :)

and your suppose to set the grill right next to the door,during bad weather Becky lol just don't set your house on fire :)

Ask a Question