Berry syrup cookie recipe

Reaction score
I plan to make a berry syrup for use in cookies or other pastries for the holidays. I recently got pounds of dried berries but I do not like how the pastries turn out with them. Its simple enough to make the syrup part, but I can't seem to find recipes anywhere for a cookie recipe using syrup! My syrup recipe is roughly: 2 cups dried berries, add 2 cups boiling water -> simmer -> 1 cup sugar -> reduce (~15 min) -> ~2 TBsp cornstarch, add lemon, ~1/8th tsp cinnamon. I've made syrups before so I'm not worried about this part. But how on Earth should I adjust a recipe to include a syrup instead of whole berries!?

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum :)

The problem is that syrups have a lot of water, and most cookie recipes (and pastries too for that matter) don't use much liquid. By adding enough syrup to impart the taste of the berries, you'll be adding so much water to the mix that it will drastically change the result. How about using the syrup in a different way, such as a topping for ice-cream, or mix with powdered sugar and drizzle over the baked cookies / pastries as a glaze?

What kind of pastries are you planning on making?

I recently got pounds of dried berries but I do not like how the pastries turn out with them.

Could you give a little more detail? Is it the flavour, texture, etc?

Reaction score
Its not possible to make an especially thick syrup or perhaps a jam that has low enough water content? I mean, fresh berries have water content as well so it should be possible? Only other choices are to rehydrate the berries (seem to taste strange, but maybe they're fine after baking them in) or perhaps use the syrup as a topping.

I was just going to make cookies for now, but now maybe I am better off switching to muffins.

The dried berries taste fine but they have the raisin problem of being a bit too much "bite" to them. End up having to chew the raisin after taking a bite of the cookie, a fresh berry doesn't have that problem.

Ask a Question