Best Autumn/Fall Cake?

Reaction score
I love making seasonal cakes especially when I go visit friends! But for some reason I always get stumped on what to make in Autumn/Fall... What's your favourite cake to make (and recipe?)

Reaction score
I was raised in Dorset (UK) and one of the local specialities there is Dorset Apple Cake. It is basically a one tier cake (can either be round or a tray bake) with chunks of apple baked into it, and crunchy sugar sprinkled on the top! Yum. Here's a good recipe:

http://www.westdorsetfoodie.co.uk/dorset-apple-cake/

Also in my internet travels I stumbled across this recipe for Parsnip and Maple Syrup cake which sounds rather good. Parsnips are coming into season so it's a good recipe for Autumn:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/12983/catherine-berwicks-parsnip-and-maple-syrup-cake

Just don't look at the calorie content!! ;)

Reaction score
I have a very old recipe for a Black Walnut Apple cake that is really good. It is from one of my Granny's recipe collection. I need to find it and share it. I might have to get a new copy from my Mama. The black walnuts give it a very interesting taste.

Reaction score
I am hoping to make an apple cake this weekend. I use the recipe from my good, old Betty Crocker cook book. I love moist, dense cakes so this is perfect for me. I can eat it without frosting, because it's so moist, but I can also add a drizzled glaze if I feel like an added bit of sweetness.

My son loves this pumpkin cake as well. He's not a fan of buttercream frostings but loves cream cheese. If you don't like the option of starting with a boxed cake you can easily substitute your favorite yellow cake recipe. It's really rich, though, so like Becky's cake it's not for those who are calorie counters!! http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/luscious-four-layer-pumpkin-cake-65930.aspx. (Hoping that link works. I clicked on something that made it not be a link :( )

I think I need to have a party or bake then send stuff to work with my husband! I want to make all these lovely sounding fall treats, but don't need them all for myself and don't want things to go to waste!!

Reaction score
Apple Kuchen!!! I'm about to post the recipe in this forum. It is so yummy!

Reaction score
I saw a really simple idea that someone posted on Facebook. It inky needs two easy ingredients, and can be made into either muffins or cookies.
You use a box of spice cake mix, and stir in a can of pumpkin pulp like you would use for making pumpkin pie.
Put it on a muffin pan for muffins, or drop by spoonfuls onto a cookie sheet for cookies.

Reaction score
I saw a really simple idea that someone posted on Facebook. It inky needs two easy ingredients, and can be made into either muffins or cookies.
You use a box of spice cake mix, and stir in a can of pumpkin pulp like you would use for making pumpkin pie.
Put it on a muffin pan for muffins, or drop by spoonfuls onto a cookie sheet for cookies.

I made this last year with pumpkin and chocolate cake. My son was just talking about it last week. They were a HUGE hit!!! ( I made mine into muffins.)

Reaction score
Oh, chocolate cake ! Now that does sound outrageously awesome ! I am thinking that chocolate pumpkin muffins along with my morning breakfast coffee would be absolutely perfect.
I was looking at the chocolate cake mixes when I was at the store, but the recipe said use spice cake, and they were , of course, all out of spice cake mix where I was shopping. (Truthfully, I was wondering if everyone else that ships there read the Facebook recipe is why they were out of it).
I have sometimes substituted sweet potatoes for pumpkin in a recipe when I didn't have pumpkin. I wonder if this recipe could just as easily be made using sweet potatoes ? The new fall crop should be in the stores soon, and hopefully, the prices will be reasonable.

Reaction score
i love apple cider spice cake in the fall. It is best eaten while still warm.

Reaction score
I just finished baking a pumpkin spice cake with a whipped cinnamon sugar frosting! The directions called for it to be put in the freezer as soon as it came out of the oven so that it stopped baking and retained moisture. It is one of the most moist cakes I think I have ever made; the whole family loves it.

Reaction score
Cakes with maple syrup and pumpkin are appealing to me during this season of the year, and there are tons of very good recipes to choose from that make hard for me select one as a favorite to recommend.

Reaction score
Apple cider cake is incredible...I'm really loving plays on pumpkin and chai flavours this year, as well. So many possibilities for this time of year!

Ask a Question