Best Butter Cookies

Reaction score
I finally found my mom's butter cookie recipe and made a batch the other day. I've never forgotten how delicious these cookies are, so I'm really glad I found the recipe. They're easy to make and only require a few ingredients.

1 stick of butter at room temperature

1/2 cup of shortening

1 cup of sugar

1 egg

2 cups of flour

Combine ingredients in order shown. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets. Flatten and shape with fork dipped in water.

Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes until light brown around edges. Makes 24 - 48 cookies, depending upon size.

I make mine somewhat larger, so I usually end up with a few dozen. They are similar to shortbread, a tiny bit crumbly, and really good.

Attachments

• best butter cookies.jpg
    best butter cookies.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 520
Reaction score
Those looks delicious and such a few ingredients are required! I've a question though, can the shortening be replaced with something else? Thanks for sharing.

Reaction score
Those looks delicious and such a few ingredients are required! I've a question though, can the shortening be replaced with something else? Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, they are really yummy. I'm not sure if the shortening can be replaced. I don't always have it on hand, but would buy it specifically for this recipe, because I love the consistency and it probably contributes to the crunchiness and similarity to shortbread. If you could find a good shortbread recipe that doesn't use shortening, you could probably substitute what it uses in place of the shortening. I'm not enough of an expert on dough and consistency to determine that, but I'd make one batch with it first, so you would know what to aim for, because these truly are the best butter cookies I've ever tasted.

Reaction score
This recipe sounds just like the cookies we make at Christmas time to decorate with all manners of colored frosting and sprinkles and other fun things. They're always delicious, too!

Butter cookies are dangerous to me - they're one of those foods where I find it hard to stop at just one!

Reaction score
Thanks, they are really yummy. I'm not sure if the shortening can be replaced. I don't always have it on hand, but would buy it specifically for this recipe, because I love the consistency and it probably contributes to the crunchiness and similarity to shortbread. If you could find a good shortbread recipe that doesn't use shortening, you could probably substitute what it uses in place of the shortening. I'm not enough of an expert on dough and consistency to determine that, but I'd make one batch with it first, so you would know what to aim for, because these truly are the best butter cookies I've ever tasted.

Oh I see :( I'm not so sure I can find shortening, or maybe they have that, but I don't speak the language so well, but we will see xD I always get lost in their supermarkets (the language barrier). Thanks for the advice, I will definitely run that experiment when the time comes :)

Reaction score
Oh I see :( I'm not so sure I can find shortening, or maybe they have that, but I don't speak the language so well, but we will see xD I always get lost in their supermarkets (the language barrier). Thanks for the advice, I will definitely run that experiment when the time comes :)

I would try to google shortening in the language there and print it out or point to it on your phone/tablet to see if someone can get it for you in the store, if you can't find it. Or, you could probably order it online, and many pages will offer translations. I would hate for you to make the cookies and be disappointed. They have a really wonderful texture that I haven't seen in many other cookies. Here's what Taste of Home says on the subject of substituting other items for shortening.

Yes, butter or stick margarine can be substituted for shortening in equal proportions in cake and cookie recipes. Most folks prefer butter because of the wonderful flavor it imparts. However, you can expect some changes in the texture of your baked goods.
Is there someone there you can ask to help you get some? My understanding is that coconut oil is often in solid form, so perhaps that would work as a substitute. I'm just happy that I have some in the house. The recipe is an older one, and back then, shortening was pretty standard in most kitchens, but it's less common these days, so I don't often have it here in the house.

Reaction score
This butter cookies recipe is awesome. Can I make this cookies with flax seed instead. My daddy is diabete and I want to make this for him but still can't do it! Thank you very much!

Reaction score
This butter cookies recipe is awesome. Can I make this cookies with flax seed instead. My daddy is diabete and I want to make this for him but still can't do it! Thank you very much!

Welcome to the forum! I assume you mean using flax seeds as an egg substitute? If your father is diabetic then it's the sugar he should avoid, not the egg!

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! I assume you mean using flax seeds as an egg substitute? If your father is diabetic then it's the sugar he should avoid, not the egg!
I am glad that you reply me , I mean using flax seed as flour substitute to reduce carbohydrates and I shall use artificial sugar instead. I have tried 2 times but failed.

Reaction score
I am glad that you reply me , I mean using flax seed as flour substitute to reduce carbohydrates and I shall use artificial sugar instead. I have tried 2 times but failed.

Ah ok I understand now. Milled flax can be difficult to work with because of how it is when it is mixed with liquid - it goes quite 'gloopy' which is why it is often used as an egg substitute. It might be better to look for a recipe that uses a nut flour - for example, ground almonds or coconut flour - as these are low in carbohydrates. There are some cookie recipes which use unsweetened apple sauce or mashed banana, as these do the job of both the egg and the sugar - might be worth taking a look!

Reaction score

It will definitely change the consistency and texture, as Diane explained. Personally, I would still prefer to replace the shortening with butter. I just don't do shortening. Butter is "heart attack on a plate" enough for me, but at least it's a "real" food. I'm trying to use more whole foods or real foods these days, so that's my reasoning.

I bet that the original recipe is wonderful though. I remember making some Christmas cookies that were very similar to that recipe, and they were SO good. Crisp yet delicate with all the buttery taste you could want. Yum.

Reaction score
Thanks, y'all. My internet's been intermittent at best lately. Someone's been out using a chainsaw and I lost internet a bit ago, so I'm wondering if that's the issue.

I think the best thing to do would be use a different recipe, rather than substitute ingredients. I can't say how this one would turn out if you swapped out ingredients, but I would probably look for a shortbread type cookie without shortening, that's the type of internet search I would conduct. There are plenty of butter cookie recipes, as well as shortbread recipes, and I'm sure there are some that use flaxseed/flax flour/almond flour. I haven't experimented with any of those because the cost is prohibitive right now, but if that changes, I will definitely be trying almond flour, and probably ground flaxseed, as well.

Reaction score
Thanks, y'all. My internet's been intermittent at best lately. Someone's been out using a chainsaw and I lost internet a bit ago, so I'm wondering if that's the issue.

I think the best thing to do would be use a different recipe, rather than substitute ingredients. I can't say how this one would turn out if you swapped out ingredients, but I would probably look for a shortbread type cookie without shortening, that's the type of internet search I would conduct. There are plenty of butter cookie recipes, as well as shortbread recipes, and I'm sure there are some that use flaxseed/flax flour/almond flour. I haven't experimented with any of those because the cost is prohibitive right now, but if that changes, I will definitely be trying almond flour, and probably ground flaxseed, as well.

Yeah, when you try to adapt a recipe too much, there is just no way it's going to come out comparable to the original. I agree that it may be best to just search out another recipe altogether. The ingredients in recipes like this one, are particular for a reason. Not only the taste, but the texture, rely on specific ingredients and instructions.

Reaction score
Butter and shortening? I can't recall that I stumbled upon this combination ever in my life but I will try it out. Butter is also a type of shortening but the difference is the origin and percentage of fat in butter. I know the effect as we all do of shortening and crumbling pastry is what we all like :) I now several recipes with pork fat and they are so yummy, I guess that adding some delicious butter cannot make any trouble at all.

Reaction score
Butter and shortening? I can't recall that I stumbled upon this combination ever in my life but I will try it out. Butter is also a type of shortening but the difference is the origin and percentage of fat in butter. I know the effect as we all do of shortening and crumbling pastry is what we all like :) I now several recipes with pork fat and they are so yummy, I guess that adding some delicious butter cannot make any trouble at all.

Yes, I definitely love the crumbling pastry texture of the cookies this recipe produces. I am planning to make another batch soon. If you make the recipe, let us know what you think. I'm not sure if I have seen other recipes calling for both shortening and butter, but the end product is delicious.

Ask a Question