Best Buttermilk Recipes

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Which is the best DIY buttermilk recipe?

* 1 tablespoon (15ml) vinegar plus 1 cup (250ml) milk, or
* 2 tablespoons plus 1 cup milk, or
* 1 tablespoon vinegar plus 235ml milk, or
* 1 cup milk plus 1 teaspoon vinegar
Thanks in advance bakers?

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Which is the best DIY buttermilk recipe?

* 1 tablespoon (15ml) vinegar plus 1 cup (250ml) milk, or
* 2 tablespoons plus 1 cup milk, or
* 1 tablespoon vinegar plus 235ml milk, or
* 1 cup milk plus 1 teaspoon vinegar
Thanks in advance bakers?

15 ml of vinegar is sufficient. Too much creates too much curdled milk.

You can use lemon juice as well.

Another way to make a diy buttermilk is mix 3 parts plain (regular not Greek) yogurt or sour cream with 1 part milk. Which I prefer over the milk and vinegar.

Another alternative to buttermilk is substitute it with gram for gram with kefir. I frequently use kefir. I’ve used both flavored and plain kefir. I like flavored kefir in cakes like orange chiffon.

Reaction score
Thanks for this info, Norcalbaker59! I tried powdered buttermilk once, but when I went into the cupboard a couple months later to use it again, it was hard! I don't know if it should have been in the freezer or what. That being said, I have used unflavored kefir with great success!

Reaction score
Thanks for this info, Norcalbaker59! I tried powdered buttermilk once, but when I went into the cupboard a couple months later to use it again, it was hard! I don't know if it should have been in the freezer or what. That being said, I have used unflavored kefir with great success!

@Madison, you’re welcome. Powdered milk is hygroscopic. When ever you have a dried product that has hygroscopic properties (meaning it pulls moisture from the environment) you need to storage in an airtight container and burp put all the air. which reminds me, I have some powdered milk in my pantry that probably 2 yrs old so probably needs to get tossed:rolleyes:

Ask a Question