Best chocolate fudge cake recipe?

Reaction score
I made a chocolate fudge cake a couple of weeks ago, and although I'd heard a lot of good things about the recipe I was quite disappointed by it. The sponge itself was light and tasty, but you want something... well... fudgier for a fudge cake!! I was hoping it would be a lot richer I guess.

Here's the recipe I used, from her book 'Baking Bible': Mary Berry's Very Best Chocolate Fudge Cake

Does anyone here have any tried and tested recipes you would recommend?

Reaction score
Think you might have misread! ;)

No I seen what you said, I was referring to the link you sent, it looked like a really good recipe, and I did give it a try only, I added a little more cocoa,some brown sugar and semi -chocolate in mine and it came out ok, not the greatest, but it was good, I have always had that habit of adding to the recipes I find. Here is another one that I tried and it was really good, I think you might like, give it a try and let me know what you think.:) http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/nigella-lawson/chocolate-fudge-cake-recipe/index.html

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion Dorothy :) My friend has tried the Nigella recipe before and thought the cake itself was bland but the frosting was really tasty apparently. I carried on my search and found this recipe:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3092/ultimate-chocolate-cake

It was separately recommended by another friend, and the reviews sound great! Can't wait to give it a try :D

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion Dorothy :) My friend has tried the Nigella recipe before and thought the cake itself was bland but the frosting was really tasty apparently. I carried on my search and found this recipe:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3092/ultimate-chocolate-cake

It was separately recommended by another friend, and the reviews sound great! Can't wait to give it a try :D

Thanks for sharing the link to the chocolate cake, I just checked it out, it sounds dreamy and so rich the fudge I can already taste, I am going give this cake a try too!

Reaction score
It was GORGEOUS! :D By far the best recipe I've tried. Here are some photos!

Choc fudge cake.JPG

Choc fudge cake slice.JPG

I would thoroughly recommend this recipe! I was intrigued by the coffee included in the recipe but it gave the flavour a real depth and no-one could tell it was there. Because there is not much flour the cake was somewhere between brownie and cake, which is great for a chocolate fudge cake. There is a lot of sugar in the recipe and could probably be cut down a bit if you want. I made the ganache before the cake too so it had plenty of time to cool. Oh and one final thing - the cake tin should be lined on the sides as well as the bottom - I had problems getting mine out, so will definitely remember to line the sides next time!

Reaction score
I just had to let you know that you cake look delicious. I wanted to complement you on the wonderful job you did photographing your baking. Your picture has nice lighting and good composition .

Ask a Question