Best cinnamon rolls recipe?

Reaction score
Hey all :) I'll like you to share with me your best cinnamon rolls recipe (if that's not asking too much, of course ;)! ). My husband's parents are coming to visit us next week and I'd like to have something nice to give them after lunch. I was thinking that cinnamon rolls would be the pefect pick for this ocassion, but I don't know any good recipe to try. I'm hoping to find a recipe that is easy, but tasty.

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
I don't have a special recipe, but something that I like is to put extra fillings in to my cinnamon rolls.
I always add raisins, of course, but I also like to chop up an apple or two, and add that to the filling. My most very favorite is what I call Cinnamince Rolls; I get a little box of the mincemeat filling, and either just crumble it in with the apples and raisin filling, or I cook all of them in together and make a nice gooey filling.
Mince is one of those either like it or don't like it things, so you would need to know if they like mince before making this treat.
My grandmother used to make homemade mincemeat, and she made the best mincemeat pies for Thanksgiving and Christmas, so I just love mincemeat, and you hardly ever see it in the bakery section any more, so I decided to try it in the cinnamon rolls, and it turned out great.

Reaction score
I saw a crazy recipe on Pinterest where you stick refrigerated cinnamon roll dough in a waffle iron and then drizzle the icing over the "waffles" like syrup.
I wonder how that would even work. Does a waffle iron get hot enough to cook cinnamon roll dough?

Reaction score
My grandma used to bake the best cinnamon rolls ever! I remember them being sweet and gooey and I would eat them right out of the pan. Now my dad makes them when he goes hunting and I make them anytime.

Frozen Bread Caramel Rolls

2 loaves frozen bread dough
1/2 C butter or Oleo
1 C brown sugar
1 large or 2 small cook n serve vanilla pudding mixes
2 Tbsp milk
Cinnamon to taste

Thaw bread but do not raise. Break on loaf into the bottom of a greased 9 x 13 pan, Melt butter, then add brown sugar, pudding mix, milk and cinnamon. Mix together and pour over broken bread. Break second loaf over the top & let raise for 2 1/2 - 3 hours. Bake about 30 minutes @ 350. Turn out of pan onto cookie sheet, so the caramel runs back over the rolls.

My dad and I have also done a modification where instead of breaking the loaves into pieces we roll the dough out like a pizza crust top with a mixture of cinnamon & sugar then roll it (like a jelly roll) and cut. Place the rolls into your 9 x 13 pan and continue as directed above.

Either way they don't last long

Reaction score
Ingredients
Dough:
1/4-ounce package yeast
1/2 cup warm water
1/2 cup scalded milk
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter or shortening
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg
3 1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
Filling:
1/2 cup melted butter, plus more for pan
3/4 cup sugar, plus more for pan
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
3/4 cup raisins, walnuts, or pecans, optional
Glaze:
4 tablespoons butter
2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 to 6 tablespoons hot water
Directions
Heat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water and set aside. In a large bowl mix milk, sugar, melted butter, salt and egg. Add 2 cups of flour and mix until smooth. Add yeast mixture. Mix in remaining flour until dough is easy to handle. Knead dough on lightly floured surface for 5 to 10 minutes. Place in well-greased bowl, cover and let rise until doubled in size, usually 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

When doubled in size, punch down dough. Roll out on a floured surface into a 15 by 9-inch rectangle. Spread melted butter all over dough. Mix sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over buttered dough. Sprinkle with walnuts, pecans, or raisins if desired. Beginning at the 15-inch side, role up dough and pinch edge together to seal. Cut into 12 to 15 slices.

Coat the bottom of baking pan with butter and sprinkle with sugar. Place cinnamon roll slices close together in the pan and let rise until dough is doubled, about 45 minutes. Bake for about 30 minutes or until nicely browned.

Meanwhile, mix butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Add hot water 1 tablespoon at a time until the glaze reaches desired consistency. Spread over slightly cooled rolls.

Reaction score
I love these cinnamon roll pancakes. Not quite cinnamon rolls, but just as delicious! I made these for my family over the holidays last year and they were very easy and delicious. Found the recipe here: http://therecipecritic.com/2013/08/cinnamon-roll-pancakes/

The site also has photos so you can see how delicious they look.

Ingredients
  • Cinnamon Filling:
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
  • ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
  • ½ tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • Cream Cheese Glaze:
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 2-ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
  • ¾ cup powdered sugar
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Pancakes: (Can also use a box)
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil

Instructions
  1. To make the cinnamon filling: Combine brown sugar, melted butter, and cinnamon in a medium size bowl. Scoop into a baggie and set aside.
  2. For the glaze: In a small pan melt the butter over low heat. Whisk together the cream cheese, vanilla and powdered sugar. Take off of the heat and set aside until ready to use on pancakes.
  3. To make the pancakes: Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk together the milk, egg, and oil.
  4. Heat skillet to medium low. Once preheated, spray with non-stick spray. Add about ½ cup of the batter to the skillet. Wait until bubbles start to form. Snip the corner of the cinnamon filling, and create a swirl pattern in the center of the pancake as pictured above. See notes. Be careful not to get it too close to the edge. With a wide metal spatula flip the pancake over and continue cooking for an additional 1-2 minutes until golden brown.
  5. Wipe out the pan each time and repeat with the remaining batter. Warm the glaze if needed and drizzle over pancakes.

Reaction score
Those cinnamon roll pancakes sound amazing! I may have to try that recipe this weekend. As for actual cinnamon rolls, I hate to say it but I never make mine from scratch since it is so much easier to buy the frozen rising ones. I just made those yesterday with my chili and they were so moist and delicious. I am never disappointed in those ones at all!

Reaction score
This is my favorite cinnamon roll recipe. If you're short on time, you can let them rise normally without the slow overnight chilled rise, they turn out delicious either way.
Mashed Potato Cinnamon Rolls
1/2 pound of russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
2 packages (1/4 oz each) active dry yeast
2 cups warm water (110-115 degrees)
3/4 cup butter, melted
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup sugar
2/3 cup non fat dry milk powder
1 T. salt
2 tsp. vanilla extract
8 - 8 1/2 cups all purpose flour
FILLING:
1/2 cup butter, melted
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
3 T. ground cinnamon
ICING:
2 cups confectioners' sugar
1/4 cup milk
2 T. butter, melted
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Place potatoes in saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook until tender. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid; set aside. Mash potatoes; set aside 1 cup. Save any remaining potatoes for another use. Heat reserved potato liquid to 110-115 degrees.In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in potato liquid, let stand 10 minutes. Add warm water, mashed potatoes, butter, eggs, sugar, milk powder, salt, vanilla and 5 cups flour, beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and chill overnight. Punch down dough; divide into thirds. On a floured surface, roll each portion into a 12 inch by 8 inch rectangle. Spread with butter. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon, sprinkle over the dough. Roll up from a long side, pinch seam to seal. Cut each into 12 slices, place cut side down into three greased 13 by 9 x 2 inch baking pans. Cover and let rise until almost doubled. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes. Combine icing ingredients and drizzle over rolls. Makes 3 dozen. I sometimes like to add raisins and or nuts to the filling.

Reaction score
The first time i baked a cinnamon roll was n my Home Economics class while i was attending high school ; it was done to perfection and tasted as good as how it looks; these days due to laziness i find myself purchasing cinnamon rolls very regular at the bakery rather than baking them at home.

Reaction score
Wow, a lot replies and recipes =D Thanks a lot! I have already checked some of your recipes and I must say they all sound good, I'll pick one of them and give it a try soon. Thanks a lot everyone!

Reaction score
My daughter made a video on how to make frosted icing pancakes as well if your interested as well :)

Reaction score
This thread reminds me that it's been a long time since I had eaten cinnamon rolls. There is a store in the mall that has the best cinnamon roll, the name is Cinnabon. Maybe that's why we do not bother of thinking to make our own cinnamon roll because there's already a store that sells that and it is convenient since almost all the malls have their outlets. But I am still curious with the recipes here. Sorry if I cannot contribute to this thread.

Reaction score
Well @Chelsea I just wanted to congratulate you on having a ambitious and well-driven daughter. I wish that I was half as ambitious as it looks like this little girl is, and that is certainly a positive thing. I hope that she continue to make videos like this, and before you know it she'll be directing them in the big time. It is nice to see kids being innovative and creative...keep up the good work and thanks for sharing.

Reaction score
Well @Chelsea I just wanted to congratulate you on having a ambitious and well-driven daughter. I wish that I was half as ambitious as it looks like this little girl is, and that is certainly a positive thing. I hope that she continue to make videos like this, and before you know it she'll be directing them in the big time. It is nice to see kids being innovative and creative...keep up the good work and thanks for sharing.
Thank you @rz3300 she LOVE LOVE LOVES to bake and has always dreamed of having her own channel and show one day ! So we are starting here ! We will be putting out a new video next week on , Every tuesday :) She watches a lot of the baking youtube channels :) Thanks so much again ! She would appreciate it !

Reaction score
@Trellum did you ever make these cinnamon rolls? I love them but try to stay away and don't know if I could ever pull off making them. This thread was started such a long time ago I suspect you are not an expert at making these? Do tell.

Reaction score
I am a big pan of Pioneer Woman's cinnamon roll recipe! I make it almost every year at Christmas and send in pans and pans to my son's school or to my husband's work.

She also has several variations using the same dough but different fillings - there is an apple caramel, a lemon blueberry, a chocolate one and so on!

I like that I can make up the dough one day and let it sit in the fridge overnight - or even for another day - before I make the rolls!

Reaction score
I make JO Cooks copycat Cinnabon rolls. Everyone seems to like them. I got the recipe off of Pinterest. Every time I want to try a different recipe my family gets annoyed :confused: (they still eat them though :cool:) I heard recently of a recipe that pours heavy cream over the rolls right before baking. Sounds interesting, i may try that.

Ask a Question