Best Gel Food Coloring

Reaction score
Looking for recommendations on what you all find to be the best brand for gel food coloring. I know AmeriColor is popular. Has anyone tried the Ann Clark? Is Wilton any good for this? They are a know brand, but I do hear and read complaints about their quality. What about U.S. Cake Supple? I use a basic brand and it does fine. Looking to up my game.

Reaction score
Most important thing about any food color is application: what are you going to use it for.

If heat is going to be applied it must be heat resistant.

So if it’s going in the oven Wilton is a risk because it’s not heat resistant.

Wilton is fine if you’re going to use it in fondant. I don’t normally buy Wilton. I’ve used it in fondant in classes.

The only Wilton colors I ever use in baked goods is their pastel box kit. And that’s because when it fades out who cares--it’s pastels.

I regularly use Americolor; Chef Master, and Chef Rubber.

All are good colors.

Chef Rubber caters to the higher end Artisan pastry chefs, so they tend to be more expensive. They are really known for their chocolate colors.

never tried Ann Clark so I can’t comment

Reaction score
Most important thing about any food color is application: what are you going to use it for.

If heat is going to be applied it must be heat resistant.

So if it’s going in the oven Wilton is a risk because it’s not heat resistant.

Wilton is fine if you’re going to use it in fondant. I don’t normally buy Wilton. I’ve used it in fondant in classes.

The only Wilton colors I ever use in baked goods is their pastel box kit. And that’s because when it fades out who cares--it’s pastels.

I regularly use Americolor; Chef Master, and Chef Rubber.

All are good colors.

Chef Rubber caters to the higher end Artisan pastry chefs, so they tend to be more expensive. They are really known for their chocolate colors.

never tried Ann Clark so I can’t comment
I'm mainly concerned with Royal Icing, but occasionally make colored macarons. I saw an AmeriColor Nifty Fifty set for $124 that I was thinking of investing in.

Reaction score
Looking for recommendations on what you all find to be the best brand for gel food coloring. I know AmeriColor is popular. Has anyone tried the Ann Clark? Is Wilton any good for this? They are a know brand, but I do hear and read complaints about their quality. What about U.S. Cake Supple? I use a basic brand and it does fine. Looking to up my game.

I used to love Wilton's Dab-in-color, but that was discontinued. As a cookie artist, I need food coloring that holds up and the only ones I've found that have the most brilliant color, don't break down, and dry the best, is Americolor gels and McCormick neon gels. Those are the only ones I'll use. These are some pictures of what I use them for... I'm sure you can see that they have to be high quality.

Reaction score
I used to love Wilton's Dab-in-color, but that was discontinued. As a cookie artist, I need food coloring that holds up and the only ones I've found that have the most brilliant color, don't break down, and dry the best, is Americolor gels and McCormick neon gels. Those are the only ones I'll use. These are some pictures of what I use them for... I'm sure you can see that they have to be high quality.
Awesome. I think I will invest in the AmeriColor Nifty Fifty set. It has so many colors that I would use!!!

Reaction score
I should have actually attached what I do with food coloring lol

Attachments

• mer1aaaa.jpg
    mer1aaaa.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 38
  • mer2aaa.jpg
    mer2aaa.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 38
  • mer3aaaa.jpg
    mer3aaaa.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 33
  • mer4aaa.jpg
    mer4aaa.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 33
Reaction score
I'm mainly concerned with Royal Icing, but occasionally make colored macarons. I saw an AmeriColor Nifty Fifty set for $124 that I was thinking of investing in.

I don’t recommend large sets unless you do extensive color work. The reason is you frequently never use a number of colors in the set.

I would buy what you need and use now.

If you’re going to use the colors for both baking and Royal icing you should invest in heat resistant colors.

Heat will damage color. So if you’re going to bake with it you want to reduce the risk of fading.

Ask a Question