Best Gloves for Food Handling in Cake Business

Reaction score
Hi

I was just wondering if anyone could help regarding gloves. I have a cake business and I’ve been using one brand of gloves but was wondering what others are out there that are suitable to wear while handling food - especially for colouring/rolling out fondant etc.

Thanks
Hannah

Reaction score
Hi

I was just wondering if anyone could help regarding gloves. I have a cake business and I’ve been using one brand of gloves but was wondering what others are out there that are suitable to wear while handling food - especially for colouring/rolling out fondant etc.

Thanks
Hannah

I use gloves every time I cook because my skin is extremely sensitive. It doesn’t matter whether I’m baking or not, if I’m handling food, I’m wearing gloves.

I use the FoodHandler brand latex powder free gloves. Not the strongest latex glove. The only other brand the restaurant supply store carries is their in store brand, which it even worse. So there really isn’t much choice for me. I’ve looked online, but the price isn’t any better, plus the added cost of shipping doesn’t make it any bargain, so I just continue to buy at the restaurant supply store.

Vinyl, latex, and nitrile are the most common materials for gloves that fit close to the skin and provide dexterity.

I think the material is more a preference thing. For a long time I used nitrile. But the quality of the nitrile seems to have gone downhill. Or at least the brand they stock where I buy. They used to be pretty thick and strong gloves, but now they are thin and tear easily. So I can’t justify the higher price.

I noticed that some gel food colors can get very tacky on the gloves when working it into fondant. I use mostly Americolor gel color. It seems to happen more with dark colors.

https://www.foodhandler.com/product/foodhandler-safety-grip-latex-gloves/

Reaction score
I use gloves every time I cook because my skin is extremely sensitive. It doesn’t matter whether I’m baking or not, if I’m handling food, I’m wearing gloves.

I use the FoodHandler brand latex powder free gloves. Not the strongest latex glove. The only other brand the restaurant supply store carries is their in store brand, which it even worse. So there really isn’t much choice for me. I’ve looked online, but the price isn’t any better, plus the added cost of shipping doesn’t make it any bargain, so I just continue to buy at the restaurant supply store.

Vinyl, latex, and nitrile are the most common materials for gloves that fit close to the skin and provide dexterity.

I think the material is more a preference thing. For a long time I used nitrile. But the quality of the nitrile seems to have gone downhill. Or at least the brand they stock where I buy. They used to be pretty thick and strong gloves, but now they are thin and tear easily. So I can’t justify the higher price.

I noticed that some gel food colors can get very tacky on the gloves when working it into fondant. I use mostly Americolor gel color. It seems to happen more with dark colors.

https://www.foodhandler.com/product/foodhandler-safety-grip-latex-gloves/
Hi

Thanks so much for your message and all your help. I've looked on the website you linked and I can't seem to purchase anything on there just look at the products .

Reaction score
Hi

Thanks so much for your message and all your help. I've looked on the website you linked and I can't seem to purchase anything on there just look at the products .

You’re welcome. Send them an email to find out if there’s a store near you that carries them. I buy them at Smart & Final and Cash & Carry. They are a restaurant supply chain store that is also open to the public. Smart & Final has stores in California, Nevada, and Arizona. I think they have online sales as well

https://www.foodhandler.com/contact-us/

Ask a Question