Best microwave cakes?

Reaction score
I've seen on the Internet that people make cakes in the microwave and I've always wondered how that works?

I know that they are usually made in a mug, but I still have a lot of questions when it comes to microwave cakes.
Are they a lot easier to make than the ones you bake in an oven? Do they consume less time? What is the best recipe?

If anyone has experience with microwave cakes, could you please enlighten me (and probably there are other microwave-cake-dummies too) what these cakes are about and how they are made.

Reaction score
I usually only make mug cakes when I have a craving for a small portion, and I don't have the time or inclination to bake a big batch (or just don't want an entire cake lying around!)

I usually just look up a recipe online for whatever I'm feeling. For instance, about a month ago I was really feeling peanut butter mug cake - so I just looked up one online! I've seen recipes for mug cobblers, mug brownies, etc...

http://www.thecomfortofcooking.com/2015/01/1-minute-chocolate-peanut-butter-mug-cake.html

Here's one I've used. I find that overall, they don't have the same consistency as a proper cake (I would say "rubbery" is the best description - not terribly so, but certainly not with the fluffiness of a normal cake!) but they are okay for something that hits the spot for a cake craving.

Reaction score
I am not sure that I can bring myself to trust anything like this. I have been proven wrong before, though, and the scrambled egg in the microwave comes to mind. While they may be true, though, that you can make them, it does not means I enjoy making them this way.

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure there's a thread on here somewhere with some mug cake recipes. I tried one once, and I know that I got the recipe from here.

I have to say, they aren't my thing. I'm not fond of the texture at all. It smelled good, it tasted okay I guess, but it seemed... rubbery to me. I will add that it may have been my microwaving skills that were at fault and not the recipe, so don't let me stop you from trying it.

Maybe silicone muffin cups would work better than mugs. I haven't tried that yet.

Good luck.

Reaction score
I usually only make mug cakes when I have a craving for a small portion, and I don't have the time or inclination to bake a big batch (or just don't want an entire cake lying around!)

I usually just look up a recipe online for whatever I'm feeling. For instance, about a month ago I was really feeling peanut butter mug cake - so I just looked up one online! I've seen recipes for mug cobblers, mug brownies, etc...

http://www.thecomfortofcooking.com/2015/01/1-minute-chocolate-peanut-butter-mug-cake.html

Here's one I've used. I find that overall, they don't have the same consistency as a proper cake (I would say "rubbery" is the best description - not terribly so, but certainly not with the fluffiness of a normal cake!) but they are okay for something that hits the spot for a cake craving.
Thanks for the link!

Reaction score
I didn't really know about the excistance of microwave cakes, for real, it's amazing. I'll look them up right away, I'd like to see how they look like.

Reaction score
WU1201H_Chocolate-Cake-in-a-Mug_s3x4.jpg.rend.sni12col.landscape.jpeg
I think mine looked something like that. Not very appealing but in a couple cases it was not so bad. Did you look them up @Panadeiro?

Ask a Question