Baking Struggles: Tips for Using Big Cupcake Pans

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used those big cupcake pans? It looks like regular cupcake pans but is huge and there's only two usually. I have a metal one and everytime I use, I have a hard time taking the cupcake out of the pan while still the shape the pan offers. Help!

Reaction score
I don't have one myself, but I've heard that it's almost impossible to get the huge cupcake out of the pan intact from other people who have it. They suggest essentially gluing it together with frosting and then covering it with more frosting.

Reaction score
I recently bought a Wilton metal cupcake pan that has two pieces that form one giant cupcake. I haven't actually had a chance to use it yet, but the reviewers on Amazon say you should spray it with Baker's Joy and make sure the top cupcake half of the pan faces the front of the oven because the top bakes faster than the bottom.

Reaction score
I don't have one myself, but I've heard that it's almost impossible to get the huge cupcake out of the pan intact from other people who have it. They suggest essentially gluing it together with frosting and then covering it with more frosting.

Everytime I've tried to bake the giant cupcakes, it always turn out ugly. I'll definitely try the method you suggested.

I recently bought a Wilton metal cupcake pan that has two pieces that form one giant cupcake. I haven't actually had a chance to use it yet, but the reviewers on Amazon say you should spray it with Baker's Joy and make sure the top cupcake half of the pan faces the front of the oven because the top bakes faster than the bottom.

You should try and use it sometime! I think it would look really cute when I get it right. Hmm, I've never heard of Baker's Joy which is weird since I bake a lot. Where have I been? I'm going to check that out.

Reaction score
Everytime I've tried to bake the giant cupcakes, it always turn out ugly. I'll definitely try the method you suggested.

You should try and use it sometime! I think it would look really cute when I get it right. Hmm, I've never heard of Baker's Joy which is weird since I bake a lot. Where have I been? I'm going to check that out.

Baker's Joy is a cooking spray that has flour in it. It lets you flour your baking pans by spraying them. I have no idea what magic makes the flour sprayable but it works.

Reaction score
Honestly I have never heard of large cupcake pans like this, interesting... I figure if you're going to make cupcakes that large you might as well make a small cake. Think would be easier to just use smaller muffin pans. Those Pinterest cupcakes are adorable though!

Reaction score
Honestly I have never heard of large cupcake pans like this, interesting... I figure if you're going to make cupcakes that large you might as well make a small cake. Think would be easier to just use smaller muffin pans. Those Pinterest cupcakes are adorable though!

Do you live in the United States? The infomercial for the Big Top Cupcake pan used to be on TV every 5 minutes a couple of years ago.

You could make a small cake, but the giant cupcake is just an easy way to make an adorable birthday cake that doesn't look like a typical round cake.

Reaction score
I like the larger pans for muffins and when making "take home" items for visitors. They are especially nice when you want to celebrate someone's birthday without the hassle of carrying a cake. You just have to remember to increase the baking time by a few minutes longer than regular sized cupcakes.
They are easily available in assorted sizes at restaurant supply stores.

Reaction score
I think that if you use the bakers joy spray or other baking spray that you should be able to take them out without any problems. This has always worked just fine for me when making the larger cupcakes.

Ask a Question