Alternative Binders for Gluten-Free Baking

Reaction score
One of the biggest challenges with gluten free grains is finding a way to get the dough or batter to hold together, ie. binders.

Eggs are one of the binding ingredients, but you don't always want to use so many eggs as to make your baked goods taste eggy.

What other binders do you use to get things to hold together sufficiently? I have had difficulty with many things being pretty crumbly and would love some fresh ideas.

Reaction score
I'm guessing apple sauce would do the trick as well? I've heard some people use mayo instead of eggs for cakes, according to some posts I've read the mayo delivers better results than using eggs and mayo. I guess the taste is less eggy as well.

Reaction score
Have not heard of using mayo. I'm not a fan of it in sandwiches so I haven't bought it in a long time. I'll have to look ugly Moore information about how to use it. I'll try adding applesauce next time I make breakfast bars. It's a natural sweet, so I could reduce the honey a little if I used that.

Reaction score
@DancingLady Mayo is simply oil and egg, so you will need to take that into account if you use it as a binding. It does make for an excellent moist cake, but I am not certain it will resolve your problems. Most gluten free products I have tried have been quite crumbly. I often end up with gluten free when hunting out dairy free. They are frequently combined, but not always.

Yoghurt is another option as a binding. Reduce the quantity of liquid involved, plain yoghurt goes without saying unless you want to flavour your product.
I often use soya yoghurt as a binding agent instead of eggs with my vegan side of life. You need extra baking powder so take that into account as well.

You could also consider mashed/pureed banana from what I understand, though I have never tried it because I don't like bananas and they don't like me.
Have a look at vegan recipes. They will give you plenty of ideas as well because vegan don't eat eggs. You can switch back marg for butter, almond milk for milk etc as you want.

Reaction score
That's a great idea. I certainly do like yogurt, I think it would taste much better than mayo. I'll take a lo I at vegan baking and see what they are using. I'm da from vegan though so I'm not opposed to some eggs.

Ask a Question