Birthday Cake For My Niece

Reaction score
So I’ll be starting a new baking project soon. My niece is turning 11 years old on May 14 and I’ll be doing her birthday cake as usual.
This year she gave me a few ideas of what she would like.
She has chosen marble cake with vanilla buttercream.
She wanted one of the following:
• Jumanji cake ( decorated to look like the game board)
• DC skateboard cake
• Lions football field cake
• Basketball cake ( sphere shaped, like an actual basketball)

She said she would be happy with any of these four so I decided on the Lions football field cake.
The only thing I’m trying to figure out is how to make the goal posts. I’m not sure what to use to make them.
Any ideas?

Thanks!
Angie

Reaction score
I just had to google what they look like, lol. I can see what you mean, they will be tricky! How big will the cake be? Relative to the size of the cake they needn't be enormous, so maybe you could make them out of gum paste and let them dry solid. Once you poke them into the cake they might start to soften, so make sure you do it just before serving. Or if you don't want to make them edible then how about just using white straws with pipe cleaners inside to give some rigidity?

Reaction score
I just had to google what they look like, lol. I can see what you mean, they will be tricky! How big will the cake be? Relative to the size of the cake they needn't be enormous, so maybe you could make them out of gum paste and let them dry solid. Once you poke them into the cake they might start to soften, so make sure you do it just before serving. Or if you don't want to make them edible then how about just using white straws with pipe cleaners inside to give some rigidity?

The cake will be a 9x13in cake.
I had the same concerns about using gumpaste but I like the idea of using straws and pipe cleaners. It would be a lot better in the long run I think.
Thank you!

Reaction score
My niece loved her birthday cake. The goal posts I made didn’t fit the cake in the end but it turned out pretty cool without them.
I think the toughest part was first the grass, while it isn’t hard to do at all, covering the whole cake was painful for my hand and wrist and my arm but when it was covered I loved it.
The other was trying to duplicate LIONS in that particular script. It was a pain but turned out pretty good.
Londyn loved the cake and I’m so happy about that.

E8D26B81-21C7-44E9-9A55-64B220222023.jpeg

046F30D7-689D-4077-9F12-85A321990564.jpeg

Ask a Question