Birthday Cake or Cupcakes?

Reaction score
My son is turning 2 this july. We aren't going to do any huge party, so I'm wondering if I should do cupcakes or a cake. If I go to a cupcake bakery I can buy just a set of 4 or 6. Its just that sometimes cupcakes can be too plain. Last year we ordered a Sesame St cake from Walmart and it was the cutest thing.
529278_860179437084_458717109_n.jpg

Reaction score
The adorable Sesame Street cake has little toys on it. If you think that cupcakes would be too plain, maybe you could put little plastic toys on them, or cover the tops of them in M&M's or Gummi Bears.

Reaction score
I'd personally go for the cupcakes this time, so you don't have all that leftover cake to deal with. There will be plenty of birthdays requiring big cakes in the future.

Reaction score
I like the idea of cupcakes because it will probably be less money than ordering a birthday cake. I like the earlier suggestion about jazzing up cupcakes with some gummies or can also add sprinkles or something. Let us know how it goes! :)

Reaction score
I was thinking of little ones having their cake placed in front of them...and diving in. If you have cupcakes your boy can only "destroy" his own. ;) And cupcakes can really be jazzed up quite nicely. I'll bet if you have a theme or something he is really into your local bakery can fix you up something very nicely!! If not you can probably find something on the Internet and do it yourself.

Reaction score
I'd personally have the birthday cake, because it usually tastes amazing! I love baking birthday cakes because if they're homemade, they usually stay nice and moist for around half a week; plenty of time to eat it all! Plus if your son doesn't eat it all, there's always some left for you ;)

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great advice. His birthday is on the 9th so I need to make a decision. I will let you know what I do and of course post pictures.

Reaction score
I prefer cupcakes because I think they're easier to decorate. I tend to look at them on pinterest over cakes. But it's all about preferences because both can have cute outcomes.

Reaction score
I would try the cupcakes and decorate them with m & ms or some other candy. It would be something different and you make really cool cupcakes there is so much you can do with them.

Reaction score
I'm all big on making sure my kids and husband have cakes on their birthday. I buy cupcakes to go with the cake if I'm having a big party, if not, I just get a cake. Cupcakes can be nicely decorated if that was ever to be what I had to do.

Reaction score
I say either one. I like cupcakes and cakes but normally have a cake on my birthday. Since he's turning 2, cupcakes might be better if you aren't having a huge party and will be easier for him to handle.

Reaction score
For me a birthday is not a birthday without a birthday cake, cupcakes are very nice and cheaper I think but a kid is always looking for that birthday cake. I personaly think cupcakes will be good for older kids!! :)

Reaction score
I would go with cupcakes, especially since you are not having a big party. If your home is like mine, we get sick of the birthday cake after a day or two and it ends up going to waste. Do you have any specific cupcake shops in your area? You can purchase cupcakes from a speciality bakery and I find that they do a wonderful job decorating them. You will pay a little more, but they do turn out beautiful.

Reaction score
I personally prefer a cake. It definately looks better and it will look better in pictures when you look back at his special day. Walmart has great cakes and most grocery stores do as well. But you can always make him a cake. You can find super simple recipes on Pinterest. Good luck.

Reaction score
For children I would say go with cupcakes. They are the perfect kid sized treat. They are alot easier to eat because a folk and plate is needed. Cupcakes also travel better than an entire lage cake. If you have any left overs they will be easy to hand out after the party and you wond be stuck with have a cake to get rid of.

Reaction score
For children I would say go with cupcakes. They are the perfect kid sized treat. They are alot easier to eat because a folk and plate is needed. Cupcakes also travel better than an entire lage cake. If you have any left overs they will be easy to hand out after the party and you wond be stuck with have a cake to get rid of.
I agree, cupcakes are bit easier for kids to eat, but then again, any kid eating any kind of cake is going to end up smearing it all over their face and clothes no matter what you try and do. It's just inevitable really.

Reaction score
With kids, I've found that cupcakes are best. Maybe not for a 2 year old, but once they reach about 5 years old, cupcakes can be a great option. You can give each kid a "blank" cupcake, and have small bowls with candy and sprinkles, and icing pens, and let them decorate their own cupcake. It's best to do this with a small amount of kids though ;)

Another fun idea that isn't as messy is to arrange cupcakes together to form a cake. You can arrange them in the shape of a number, a heart, set them on tiers, whatever you'd like, and it makes a sort of "pull-apart" cake. It's really simple to do, and its someone different than just a regular cake.

Ask a Question