Birthday cakes

Reaction score
Do you always bake your children's birthday cakes?

I would like to do this for my kids, but the only thing that puts me off is that I am not very artistically talented. I could do the cake itself, but when it comes to decoration, I feel that a birthday cake should be something a bit special, and I don't have the confidence to attempt it.

My decorating skills only stretch as far as spreading on some simple icing, and maybe a bit of piping. Nowhere near as fancy as the special cakes you can order from the bakery.

What is the most ambitious you've been when making children's birthday cakes? Do you have any pics?

Reaction score
I love the sprinkle cake idea. It's so colourful and pretty!

Perhaps I'm worrying too much about trying to make decorations look like the professionally made ones that you see in bakery windows. It can actually be better to make something original looking.

The bonus with the sprinkle cake is that it's so simple, yet it really does look stunning. Thank you for the suggestion.

Reaction score
How brilliant Monkeyboots :). I hadn't realised that they came in so many colours. Here in the UK, they're called 'hundreds and thousands' instead of jimmies - I'm sure there will be a website that stocks them here too.

There are no excuses now for me not to be making my own birthday cakes! Thanks for the creative ideas.

Ask a Question