Black icing?

Reaction score
I am making a Pittsburgh Pirate cake for next week. I have any awesome mold I want to try. I never used black icing before. It will be the main part all over the cake. From my experience with eating it it turns your whole mouth colors. Is there. Any kind out there that wouldn't do this? What are the best kinds, or how should I approach this ?

Reaction score
Awesome! Love the video. Thanks so much. I will be trying this our next week for sure! Most likely Thursday night, as long as plans are the same. If it goes well I'll post a picture. Lets hope it does!

Reaction score
I know traditional black icing can be pretty bitter. I think it's a really good idea to get it dark with cocoa or some sort of dark chocolate so you need less of the dye. It probably will turn peoples mouths dark, but I can't imagine that they will be overly distressed.

Reaction score
From the Cocoa Powder FAQ I mentioned in another thread:

Black cocoa is cocoa powder that has been heavily-Dutched. If you’ve ever had an Oreo cookie, the outer cookies are a good example of black cocoa. Because it has a strong, very brusque flavor, it’s best used in conjunction with another cocoa powder and is mostly used to boost color. Hershey’s Special Dark cocoa powder is heavily Dutched, and is close to black cocoa powder. (King Arthur sells true black cocoa.)

Reaction score
What a great question. I've never really known how to do this either and I think using the cocoa is probably the best idea in terms of getting the color without using an over abundance of food coloring/paste. I have never used paste myself but have seen it in baking shows. I've always tried mixing food colors which never really works correctly.

Reaction score
This is a great idea-using cocoa powder I mean. I had no idea there was black cocoa powder. I work in a deli/bakery part-time, and the icing comes in already dyed for us. This being said, black food coloring does separate into magenta and teal. The magenta part is red #3, which has a flavor many people don't like. I would definitely use cocoa powder instead, has to taste much better!

Ask a Question