Bland tasting White cupcakes

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Any advice would be much appreciated , I have tried several different white vanilla cupcake recipes and each time they seem tasteless to me . Once I’ve frosted they taste better but the actual bun is just flavourless. This is the recipe I have used most often , I have also added extra vanilla but it’s still no better .
Thanks!!

Attachments

• AD0787E3-D77E-468C-BB60-0B0F21A83A5E.png
    AD0787E3-D77E-468C-BB60-0B0F21A83A5E.png
    349.3 KB · Views: 120
Reaction score
Vanilla cupcakes are by nature bland. They are what they are. You can add some flavor using a recipe with a combination of milk and sour cream (try the recipe on Preppy Kitchen); use artificial vanilla; infuse the sugar with citrus zest.

Now before you get all worked up about the use of artificial vanilla, the truth is highly trained chefs either could not taste the difference between real vanilla and artificial vanilla in baked goods in blind taste tests, or preferred the artificial vanilla in baked goods. Where real vanilla was overwhelmingly preferred was in cold applications like ice cream. Extract is alcohol based; when subjected to heat, the alcohol evaporates and the flavor compounds evaporate with the alcohol. But that isn’t the case with artificial vanilla.

Ask a Question