Bleached or Unbleached Flour ?

Reaction score
what is the difference ? and which is better to bake with or does it matter ?

I've seen diffrent recipes that want you to use each one,which would be the better to use for all around baking ? at this point in my baking skill set,which is pretty basic or a beginner :) I've been using all purpose flour and keep some self rising to make biscuits with,I looked for some bread flour at the closest grocery store to me and couldn't find any,it is a small one but it is a lot farther to drive for a bigger store

but they do have bleached and unbleached,so which one would be better ?

Reaction score
I read the article,so i'm going to try and use unbleached flour,just because of the extra chemicals used (benzoyl peroxide and chlorine gas, among others)
wow chlorine gas and peroxide ?

they did say that unbleached flour may have chemicals in it too,amazing at what I have been eating and don't know about

Reaction score
There are always so many processes going on behind the scenes before food hits the store shelves, it's nice to go back to basics and know exactly what you are eating :)

Reaction score
I see bleach flour and I am wondering when exactly the Clorox is used:). I've never heard of this and at the very minute I see this thread several of the girls working in a kitchen here at the mall enter the shop. Of course I call one in my chambers and ask about these flours and she just shrugs and says they just use regular flour. I actually thought because she works at an Italian restaurant she would have known. Guess not. Thanks for the education.

Reaction score
the chlorine gas and peroxide is what scared me,of course i didn't know formaldehyde was used in non stick cook ware either,so I guess I need to either go with cast iron or steel for cookware

Ask a Question