Blending Flour

Reaction score
I'm shopping with InstaCart and, I'm sure you all know of the shortage of flour everywhere. Well, today my shopper managed to come up with Robin Hood Blending Flour. I know it is used for sauces, gravies, etc. but can it be used for regular baking? Are there any adjustments in proportion? I just feel lucky to have actually scored some!

Reaction score
I'm shopping with InstaCart and, I'm sure you all know of the shortage of flour everywhere. Well, today my shopper managed to come up with Robin Hood Blending Flour. I know it is used for sauces, gravies, etc. but can it be used for regular baking? Are there any adjustments in proportion? I just feel lucky to have actually scored some!

Oh that is pre-cooked flour. The process of pre-cooking reduces the protein level. So it’s extremely weak flour. So it’s not suitable for a baking. In the US we have a brand by Pillsbury called Wondra.

The only recipe I’ve ever seen a precooked flour used in baking is Rose Levy Beranbaum’s genoise cake. I think I have the recipe in one her cookbooks. If you would like the recipe I can pass it on to you

Reaction score
I was afraid of this, but since it was the only thing available I jumped at it. Well, at least I'll have lovely smooth gravies and sauces from now on as it's a 5 lb bag!

Reaction score

You can get by as long as you don't try to make bread.
Cake, scone, muffins etc should be alright.

Reaction score
I thought I'd try something simple, so made a small batch of shortbread. Very odd, it baked alright, came out nice and crispy and a good color, but the texture was definitely odd. It seemed to leave a funny feeling in the mouth which I don't know how to describe. We decided to let the birds and squirrels have it!

Reaction score
I thought I'd try something simple, so made a small batch of shortbread. Very odd, it baked alright, came out nice and crispy and a good color, but the texture was definitely odd. It seemed to leave a funny feeling in the mouth which I don't know how to describe. We decided to let the birds and squirrels have it!

I had a big bucket of that stuff yrs ago, it was very useful for making sugar sauces, just stir it into syrup, add flavorinjg extract and it thickened it up, I only used it the one time. The guy who gave it to me said it was modified wheat protein or something.
If we get hungry enough we'd eat anything, even squirrels.
The farmer who lives next door ate a grouse that flew into my window.

20190901_190146 (1).jpg

Ask a Question