Blondie recipe?

Discussion in 'Cookies' started by Becky, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Becky

Becky Administrator

I'm looking for a good blondie recipe and wondering if anyone had any good recommendations...? I've read good things about the Stella Parks recipe so I'm tempted to get her book, but it's £21 here in the UK.

Ideally I'd like to add white choc chips and pecans, but I guess I could add those to any recipe. Blondies aren't something I've made much before, weirdly. I made some vegan peanut butter blondies a while back but I'd like to try something new if possible.

Thanks in advance! :)

Becky, Jun 13, 2018
    Norcalbaker59 likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Becky

Becky Administrator

Oh crikey, I've been reading through recipe books via Amazon's 'Look inside' thing and my mouth is literally watering!! Annoyingly it skips the recipe for Stella Park's blondies (shows the pages before and after, I guess it's a popular one) but it's great to get a feel for the book. I've also managed to find another book called 'Sweet' by Yotam Ottolenghi and Helen Goh which looks superb. So now I've gone from thinking "should I spend £20 on a book?" to "I think I'm going to spend £40 on two books"

OMG WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME :eek:

Becky, Jun 13, 2018
    1. Advertisements

3. Becky

Norcalbaker59 Well-Known Member

lol--those darn cookbooks will make you into a penniless hoarder! She who dies with the most cookbooks wins:D

I've had this blondie recipe paged marked, but I haven't tried it. Its on David Lebovitz's blog, but its Claire Ptak's recipe. Both Lebovitz and Ptak are alumni of Chez Panisse, one of the most influential restaurants in the US. I eyed this recipe because burnt sugar is a weakness.

https://www.davidlebovitz.com/butterscotch-caramel-blondies-recipe-claire-ptak-violet-bakery/

Norcalbaker59, Jun 13, 2018
    Becky likes this.
  4. Becky

Becky Administrator

Ooh that recipe looks really interesting, I would never had thought to put shards of hard caramel on the top. Do you think he heated the sugar to hard crack stage? I couldn't see a temperature in the recipe, and I don't trust myself to gauge it on eye alone ;)

Buying some silicone baking mats now... I managed not to impulse buy both books, I'm going to leave them on my wishlist and see what happens (birthday is in August, so fingers crossed). I really need to have a clear out of my recipe books though, I have far too many and there are plenty I hardly use.

Becky, Jun 14, 2018 at 12:21 PM
  5. Becky

The sugar will be heated beyond the hard crack stage. Hard crack happens at about 310°F (155°C); caramelization begins about 320°F (160°C).

On one of his other posts, can’t remember which one, he stated you can easily caramelize sugar simply by watching the color, no thermometer needed.

I frequently caramelize sugar to make candy pecans for my mixed greens, apple, and feta salad. I never use a thermometer since it’s such a small amount of sugar. I have burnt the sugar a couple of times when using a dark non stick pan. But with a stainless steel pan it’s easy to judge when the sugar is caramelized enough.

And you will know when the sugar is burnt – – it is so bitter it’s inedible:eek:

I’ve made his soft chewy caramels, and they turn out perfect every time. It’s the only recipe that has ever worked for me. I use Lyle’s golden syrup instead of corn syrup— and I never tell anyone when I make a batch of caramels because I want them all to myself!:p

Norcalbaker59, Jun 15, 2018 at 5:22 AM
    Becky likes this.
  6. Becky

Becky Administrator

Ooh funny you mentioned candy pecans - I was thinking that's what I would do! Instead of having the shards of caramel and pecans on top, I thought I could combine the two then chop it up. Best of both worlds :D

Silicone mat should be arriving today... :)

Becky, Jun 15, 2018 at 10:29 AM
  7. Becky

Let us know how they turn out!

Norcalbaker59, Jun 15, 2018 at 7:14 PM
  8. Becky

Becky Administrator

They turned out great... eventually! It took me 3 attempts to get the sugar to hard crack :rolleyes: went through my entire supply of white sugar! :eek::oops:

The first time my thermometer was telling me that the temp was rising veeery slowly, so I opened the bag of pecans and spread them across the mat. I was watching the thermometer the whole time. Turned my back for a second and WHOOSH! It had burned.

Second attempt, I watched it like a hawk. However as soon as the temp got to soft crack it suddenly rocketed, and even though I took it off as soon as I realised the temp continued to rise and it burned.

Third attempt, I took it off the heat as soon as it was just below soft crack, and low and behold the temp continued to rise until it got to hard crack. Hurrah! :D

I'll make the blondies today :)

Becky, Jun 16, 2018 at 9:44 AM
  9. Becky

Lol—that is too funny! I totally get your frustration here. Cooking sugar straight up without water always vexes me for that very reason—it’s uncontrollable under heat.

Looking forward to hearing how the blondies turn out.

Norcalbaker59, Jun 16, 2018 at 5:38 PM
    Becky likes this.
  10. Becky

Becky Administrator

Glad it's not just me who struggles with sugar!

They. Were. Awesome! :D

I compared the recipe you suggested with others I'd found, and went with yours because it had a lower proportion of flour to fat / sugar (and I like them less cakey, more fudgey). They are delicious! Lovely butterscotch flavour. I think we may all have diabetes now, but it was worth it ;)

Only slight changes I made were 50% white choc and 50% milk choc, and used the chopped candied pecans on top instead of caramel shards. 30 mins was perfect for me too, so pretty much stuck to the recipe.

We had them warm with vanilla ice-cream and more chopped candied pecans on top. Delicious!

I'll upload some photos later, in a bit of a rush right now.

Becky, Jun 17, 2018 at 5:27 PM
  11. Becky

Glad to hear they turned out so well. I have to babysit my niece next week so I think I’ll make a batch to take over. She always asks for a baked treat.

Norcalbaker59, Jun 17, 2018 at 5:41 PM
    Becky likes this.
  12. Becky

Becky Administrator

Batter with choc chips:
    blondies 1.jpg

The chopped candied pecans, yummmm
    blondies 2.jpg

Before going into the oven (I saved some of the pecans to sprinkle on ice-cream)
    blondies 3.jpg

Baked!
    blondies 4.jpg

Best served warm with ice-cream
    blondies 5.jpg

Chewy and delicious :D
    blondies 6.jpg

Becky, Jun 18, 2018 at 12:29 PM
  13. Becky

Becky Administrator

We really liked them, I've put the rest in the freezer now so that we're not tempted to eat them all quickly! ;)

Becky, Jun 18, 2018 at 12:30 PM
  14. Becky

Those look really good. They look nice and chewy. I’m gonna give this recipe a try when I watch my niece later this week. That looks like a keeper.

Norcalbaker59, Jun 18, 2018 at 9:00 PM
    Becky likes this.
  15. Becky

Becky Administrator

Yup definitely a keeper. I remembered one small change I made - instead of adding all the salt to the batter, I added half and sprinkled the rest on the top (I used flakey salt). If anything I would add slightly more to the top next time.

Becky, Jun 19, 2018 at 11:55 AM
  16. Becky

I appreciate the tips. I’m definitely going to make a batch of these for my niece.

Norcalbaker59, Jun 19, 2018 at 9:03 PM
    Becky likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question