Blueberry recipes that AREN'T muffins?

Reaction score
One of my blueberry plants is having a bumper crop this year, with a full bowl of blueberries already picked and more on the way. Now what should I make with them? I'm actually not a fan of blueberry muffins. Blueberry pancakes are a definite must, but what else? Last year I made blueberry cheesecake cupcakes, which were quite good, but I'd like something this year. What are your favorite recipes involving lots of blueberries?

Reaction score
I always love blueberry jam, and it is so good on a cold winter opening, with toast and butter, or even on pancakes or French toast. I don't like the berries IN the pancake batter, but I do love it as jam, on top of the pancake.

If you have a really big crop, then you could always make blueberry pie or cobbler.
( Post it if you do, I will be there to try a piece ....yum ! )

Reaction score
Hmm, I might try the blueberry yogurt pancakes today. But please keep the ideas coming, I still have more blueberries!

Reaction score
I think fruit tarts would be delicious with blueberries! Maybe a lemon cream filling with the blueberries on top!

Reaction score
http://smittenkitchen.com/recipes/#Blueberries

I am doing blueberry crumb bars tomorrow. The website has other recipes that can be substituted with blueberries. Also, you can do blueberry sorbet, blueberry vodka, even blueberries in salad, blueberry compote to go with duck breast, or you can dry them out or dehydrate them and make your own blueberry muffin-flavored Larabars.

http://userealbutter.com
This website has pretty good blueberry recipes too.

Reaction score
Ooh blueberry vodka, now there's an idea! Sloe gin is quite popular in the UK (you pick sloe berries and add them to gin to infuse) - maybe you could also try Blueberry gin?? I also wonder what blueberry wine would be like...

Reaction score
I am not sure about blueberry wine, but I found a recipe for blueberry liqueur -
http://www.goodcocktails.com/liqueur_recipes/blueberry_liqueur_recipe.php

And another for blackcurrant liqueur, but I am thinking maybe you can use the same process but instead of blackcurrants, just put blueberries instead? -
http://userealbutter.com/2013/05/30/black-currant-liqueur-creme-de-cassis-recipe/

The difference in the recipes is that goodcocktails lets you stir in the simple syrup after one month, and you have to store it for two more weeks, and the userealbutter recipe doesn't specify this. ALTHOUGH, userealbutter has a very precise measurement of the sugar, which actually makes sense. She differentiates between blackcurrant liqueur and creme de cassis. Interesting point.

Reaction score
My aunt brought blueberry tarts with her the last time she visited. Just regular butter tarts with blueberries in them I think. They were delicious! I keep forgetting to make them.. so much better than expected. I just love blueberries.. I eat them in almost anything, especially my salads.

Reaction score
Blueberry cobbler with a crumbled topping is a great wa to use any extra berries you might have on hand. If you are looking for a non bake item you might want to try a blueberry smoothy made with greek yogurt and honey.

Reaction score
I just did a bread recipe over the weekend you may want to try. It is a simple banana bread but add about a cup or so of blueberries to the batter and fold in, bake as usual!!!! The combo flavor was great

Reaction score
Blueberry cobbler is an absolute favorite around here, even my picky eater will have a ton of it!

Reaction score
Blueberry cookies! Honestly, they kind of taste like blueberry muffin tops but I mean that's the best part of a muffin!

Ingredients:

2 cups flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup salted butter, softened

1 cup sugar

1 egg

1/3 cup milk

1 teaspoon almond extract

2 teaspoon lemon zest, about 1 lemon

1 cup frozen blueberries, thawed and drained

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl, set aside.

2. In the bowl of your mixer, cream together butter and sugar until well combined. Add in egg and beat until combined. Add milk, almond extract and lemon zest then beat until combined.

3. Slowly add dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, and mix until combined. Gently fold in blueberries. The dough will seem too thick, but just keep at it!

4. Refrigerate the dough for at least one hour, then shape into large balls. Bake 6 to a baking sheet for 13-15 minutes, or until slightly golden brown on the bottom, and set on top. Do not overbake, Let cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool all the way.

Reaction score
You can do plenty of recipes with blueberries. As they said above you can do anything from cookies to vodka. Just get creative and you will never know what you may come up with.

Reaction score
One of my blueberry plants is having a bumper crop this year, with a full bowl of blueberries already picked and more on the way. Now what should I make with them? I'm actually not a fan of blueberry muffins. Blueberry pancakes are a definite must, but what else? Last year I made blueberry cheesecake cupcakes, which were quite good, but I'd like something this year. What are your favorite recipes involving lots of blueberries?
Oh my goodness you should make preserves! I know that’s not actually baking but homemade blueberry jam is the best in the middle of winter. It’s like you saved a little summer in a jar. Granted it’s October now, but there’s always next year. :)

Reaction score
I found this in a book called "Southern Cakes" once. it's pretty good.
Shenandoah Valley Blueberry cake.
1 2/3 cups All-purpose flour.
1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder.
1/4 teaspoon salt.
1/3 cup Butter, softened.
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
1 egg.
1/3 cup Milk
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (do not thaw if frozen).

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F, and generously grease a 9 inch square pan.
Combine Flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl, and stir with a form to mix well.
In a medium bowl, combine butter and sugar and beat with a mixer at high speed until well combined.
Add the egg and beat well for 1 to 2 minutes. stopping to scrape down the bowl, until the mixture is smooth and light.
Stir in half the flour mixture, then half the milk, mixing just enough to keep the batter smooth and well combined.
Add the remaining flour, then the rest of the milk, mixing gently,
Stir int he blueberries.
Scrape batter into the prepared pan, and bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes, or until the cake is golden, springs back when touched gently in the middle, and is pulling away from the side of the pan.
Serve right from the pan, or at room temperature, cut into small squares. If it's a round cake, let it cool in the pan on a wire rack or folded kitchen towel fr ten minutes, and then turn it out to cool on the rack, top side up.

Ask a Question