Bolted Flour

Reaction score
I have a recipe for Danish surbrod that calls for "bolted flour" (in a ratio of 3:1 to wheat flour). Is it safe to assume that this is referring to rye flour?

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. The recipe comes from a book originally in Danish published in 1964. These days, when you search "bolted" flour, you see many results for stone-ground wheat flour. I wonder what is the reason for making the assumption that the reader knows that this refers to rye flour. Perhaps the intended Danish readership or perhaps the time-period.

Anyways, thanks for the help.

Reaction score
I have a recipe for Danish surbrod that calls for "bolted flour" (in a ratio of 3:1 to wheat flour). Is it safe to assume that this is referring to rye flour?

Bolted flour is any sifted (high extraction) flour. It can be any grain. What matters is it cannot be wholemeal. That’s what bolted means.

Reaction score
Bolted flour is any sifted (high extraction) flour. It can be any grain. What matters is it cannot be wholemeal. That’s what bolted means.
Yes, I am not questioning the definition of bolted flour.

I was wondering why this Danish recipe suggests the reader should assume bolted flour is equivalent to rye flour, as surbrod seems to have rye as an essential ingredient.

Reaction score
Well its a 60 yr old recipe, bolted flour isn't sold in the average store any more.
At the time they probably sold rye flour as bolted rye.

Ask a Question