Braided breads

Reaction score
I've been baking on a round stone in my oven. Its been great for round loaves so far. I've been just placing the dough on a bed of corn meal with great results.

So I had the idea I wanted to make a braided loaf and bake it on the stone. Knowing it would be difficult to move after being braided and proofing one last time, I did it on parchment paper. But it seemed like the bottom of the loaf was over done and the parchment paper was very browned and crispy. It fell apart much like a dry leaf in the fall when I pulled it out.

Any advice or suggestions on how I might do this better?

Note: a little charred but presentation was excellent.
received_10212364794388877.jpeg

orca-image-1501197411865.jpg_1501197412580.jpeg

Reaction score
I use parchment paper to transfer pizza from the counter to the baking steel. I find parchment paper burns and interferes with good crust development, especially on the bottom. So as soon as the dough sets, I use a pair of long tongs to yank the parchment paper out from between the pizza and the baking steel. The result is a better browned crust. And I don't have to figure out how to get parchment ashes off the steel to put another pizza into bake.

IMG_5439.JPG

IMG_5444.JPG

Reaction score
Theron, your bread looks amazing! The braided loaf is stunning!

Norcalbaker59, your pizza looks delicious!

Ask a Question